• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Canoe

I've never owned a canoe before, just my kayak...The GF wants to get a canoe so we both can go on the water (not to fun both of us in my single kayak lol). I will be using it for fishing and paddling around lakes and calm rivers, nothing extreme...What canoes would you recommend?? I'm looking to spend $700 or less...The short time I've been looking, the Old town saranac 146 XT looks pretty decent for what I'd use it for...Are these hard to paddle solo??? Thanks for any suggestions

IMO paddling solo is all about the length of the canoe. I have a 13.5 foot canoe that I one-man 9 out of 10 outings but has two seats, I just sit in the back and weight down the front when I'm alone.

I love old town canoes, and if my budget had been more than a measly three benjies, I probably would have gone with an old town canoe.

My parents have a 17 foot old town of some sort that is a FANTASTIC 2-person canoe, we've had it for 20+ years and other than replacing/upgrading the seats a couple summers ago, it's held up great.

As with anything boating related, if you're looking for multiple types of use, you'll have to make some compromises.

If I were you, I'd scrounge that site started by Craig for an Old Town Penobscot. You can find them for around $700, and they work for both solo and tandem trips as long as you're not going on a 2+ week adventure. Plus, they're bulletproof. Other companies like Wenonah do make royalex boats, but you won't find them used all that often, and when you do they'll probably be over the $700 price range.

Plus, there's always an aluminum tank. If you don't plan on portaging it very far, and you like stability, they'll last you forever. I spend 30 or 30 days a year in one my mom got for my dad 32 years ago, and I suspect that it'll still be functional in another 30 years.

I have 3 kayaks and 1 canoe. They all serve a different purpose. One of our Kayaks is an old town tandum. The canoe is an aluminum grumin 17 ft. Great all around canoe that's very sturdy. If I'm out by myself, hands down I'm using a single Kayak. If I'm out with someone else, I would much rather be outh where we each have our own kayak, than both be in a canoe together.