• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling Triple with a 5th Wheel and Boat

hoppe56307

It is tip to tip. I got my information when I started pulling triple last year and contacted the DMV. After pulling triples I pay closer attention to others doing it and I bet there are more doing it illegally than legally. The 5er must to be less than 28' and most that pull triple have a full size crew with a 30'+ 5er and 17'+ boat. I have a short box crew cab with a 26' 5er and a 14' boat and it is a little under 65'.

highlife is somewhat incorrect. The old law used to limit the size of your 5er to 28ft. That is no longer the law.

It was changed and there is no limit to the length of any unit, only total length. This change was made for those who choose to tow somethinkg like a utility trailer with a 4wheeler which may be shorter than a boat.

He is correct that the measurement is from forward most tip to rearmost tip.

Remember that this law is the MN law and different states have different laws regarding towing triple. Some don't allow it at all, some like MN has restrictions about when you can tow in the metro and some have different length restrictions.

You can look up the MN statutes online or contact the state patrol.

Powerstroke is correct. I know when I contacted the DMV there was as 28' limit but has been changed.

Subd. 3c.Recreational vehicle combination. Notwithstanding subdivision 3, a recreational vehicle combination may be operated without a permit if:

(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;

(2) the combination does not exceed 70 feet in length;

(3) the operator of the combination is at least 18 years of age;

(4) the trailer is only carrying watercraft, motorcycles, motorized bicycles, off-highway motorcycles, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, motorized golf carts, or equestrian equipment or supplies, and meets all requirements of law;

(5) the vehicles in the combination are connected to the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor and each other in conformity with section 169.82; and

(6) the combination is not operated within the seven-county metropolitan area, as defined in section 473.121, subdivision 2, during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.

The law says 70 ft tip to tail. You know when you see a tandem axle boat trailer they are definitely over the legal length. Before I bought ours the answer I always received from people that I know in the RV business was that they have been told by the troopers they won't pull you over for measure, but if you get into an accident you will get a ticket if you are over. If you are 70 don't head to WI as they will pull you over and not let you go until you disconnect.