• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any input on type of snow blower

otterman91105

You can gain a lot of knowledge and maybe get a late season sale by going to real power equipment shops and talking to them. You will learn things about the quality of the engine, type of bearings, absence of grease fittings..... IMO I would never buy something like a snow blower from a big box store until I had done a lot of study. I think there are a lot of low end units that you end up with parts availability problems. Once you start to shop you likely will find that there are price breaks that are pretty obvious. As you move upwards the design and quality should move up as well.

I'm in the same boat. I've been using old snowblowers that were handed down to me for the past 5 years or so and the newest is probably 25 years old and seems to need work every year. Its about time I move on to something new.

I know Ariens is a solid brand. Any thoughts on Toro or Snapper?

Also what do people think about single stage vs. 2-stage blowers? I used a new single stage snapper that my mother in law had and I was pretty impressed with it. It seems to make very quick work out of any snow fall 8" or under, way faster than my old 2 stage snapper that is also pretty fast compared to others I've used. I like how the single stage is more manuverable and seems to handle the more common small snowfalls better. Just concerned about the durability of the rubber paddle style blades and also wish it had some sort of self propel other than the paddles.

I've had a Toro 8hp for 20 years that I use at home, just put a new carb on it this year. It still works great.

I recently bought a Snapper 9hp 26" to use NW of Alex. The driveway was buried after the last storm/blizzard. I was impressed how good a machine it turned out to be. Starts on the first pull and chews right thru the snow. The drifts were deep from the NW winds.

I also looked at Ariens and Simplicity, found a deal on the Snapper.

A single stage is going to be quicker for those 6" or less snow falls, unless you get out and do it a few times on the larger snow falls. They thing they dont like is the heavy wet snow or the plow ridges.

With that said, I have a craftsman in the back of my truck plowing and have had the same two for the last 8 years. Replaced the rubber and the skid plate and a few other things over the years and even had the carb cleaned. But it still runs fine for sidewalks etc.

I wonder why the age of the machine is a consideration. A snowblower just doesn't get that much use, maybe 10-15 hours in a year like this, nothing much at all over the past few years. If you chance the oil, keep old gas out of the system, clean the thing off in the spring to clean off the salt. Replace a broken part if you can find it. If you buy quality I think it is reasonable to get 20+ years out of a unit. If it starts and makes the snow go away keep using it.

I usually like to keep the old engines around as they tend to be bullet proof. In my case I'm just getting tired of fighting with the blowers I have. One needs a lot of work and is 40+ years old and isn't worth the effort. The 25 year old snapper works great when I can get it running but every year something breaks down on it during the middle of the winter usually right before the biggest snowfall of the season. Its failed me more than once at really bad times.

I have an older, used when I bought it, John Deere 28in with an 8hp Tecumseh. I change the oil in the engine and run 91. I just hat to replace the drive system bearings this year. It has grease fittings where it doesn't have bearings. I have to admit I don't like how the newer ones I see have electric motors to operate the chute.

Regarding the single vs two stage snowblowers - I bought an old single stage, 2 cycle Toro CCR 2000 two years ago right before that big snowstorm hit in early December. I think I am more impressed with it every single time that I use it! During that storm I got out 3 times to clear the driveway to stay ahead, but since then it has worked perfectly for every snowfall that we've gotten. It's funny because most of my neighbors hav two stage machines, except the guy directly across the street from me, who has an identical machine. When there is 6" of fresh snow, we can clear our driveways in 1/2 the time as the others, and then I can pick mine up easily by myself, throw it in the back of my truck, and take it to work to help clear the sidewalks there. I love that thing, and will keep it for as long as I possibly can. When it dies I'll buy another single stage just like it.

Nowiser, thats what i noticed when using the single stage snapper. It cleared my driveway in 1/2 the time compared to my much large 2 stage snapper. My 2 stage is pretty fast compared to other 2 stage blowers I've used but its still a snail compared to the single stage.

I also feel like the paddle type auger that the single stage units have get the driveway and sidewalk cleaner.

I think I'll be looking for a good single stage blower soon. For those rare storms that dump 10" or more I don't mind going out more than once to stay ahead on it. I'll probably still be out less time than if I use my larger blower and do it only one time.

All the Toro single stage snowblowers are now overhead valve 4 stroke, and they are sweet. Even the small ones have a engage lever so the paddles aren't turning when you start it up, You should be able to get a deal on one now if you go to your small dealer, not the big box store.

Thank You , Small Toro Dealer.

have had a toro single stage that's easy to maneuver and throws the snow well..had it for 20 plus years and starts on first pull..the best thing is my wife can start and operate it grin i like it cause its small-doesnt take up much room in the garage etc..never really needed anything bigger. as i get older i dont have to horse the big ones around.

the key is to not let the old gas sit..burn it out or drain...i do put stabil and seafoam thru when i fill my tank..great, reliable machinge..