• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog scratching up my drywall

tacklejunkie

I've had to repair now 4 sheetrock holes. It appears he is chewing at and leaving dents in the sheetrock walls. This behavior is new and so now he goes into the cage when I'm gone as that seems to be the only time he does it, when I'm gone. The holes are small and they don't go through and are easily repaired but he has done it 4 times in the past three weeks.

My questions are is there a reason he is doing this and, short of keeping him caged when I'm not home, is there a way to break this behavior? I left him plenty of chew toys when I left the house

Im not a dog person so I wont say what I would do... But maybe there is something in his diet it is lacking? Maybe ask a vet. Maybe some sort of nasty spray that wouldn't damage paint that you could get at a pet store?

Just a couple thoughts. Good luck.

Knew a guy that had a Springer that would do that and it really got worse when they moved across town. It actually gnawed it's way thru a hollow core door when they were gone for the day. He took the dog to a dog "shink" of sorts and was told it had "absence anxiety". They gave it some kind of tranquilizer when they left for the day as well as putting it in a cage.

I don't know how old your dog is and maybe it doesn't matter. Younger dogs generally have a tendency to ruin stuff more than older dogs.

I had a dog that would eat the sheetrock on the wall in his kennel in the garage, in that case I just put some plywood up, I think the dog liked the salty taste of it. Obviously that isn't an option for you.

I think you need to set up some sort of quarantine when you're gone, it may be the crate. We have a 7 yr old lab and 3 yr old Golden Retriever. In our case we shut the bedroom doors because they like to grab the kids stuffed animals when we're gone and the Golden will fish any tissue that is left in a toilet. I think the simplest answer is to figure out what he seems to destroy and keep him from that by whatever means you need to. I would assume you want to provide him with more space than just a crate so find somewhere in the house that can be provided without him being able to eat a wall or something.

If he's focusing on one particular area of drywall you could also try using the bitter apple spray. Just spray it on the wall where he's been chewing and he'll get a pretty nasty taste next time he goes for it. When my dog was young and chewing on a few random things he shouldn't be thats what we used and it always worked the first time. One bad taste and he'd never go back to it again.

The only other thing I can think of is that the dog might be bored with too much energy when you're gone. Is the dog getting enough exercise? Maybe a walk or a little play time in the morning before you go to work might help. I used to use a little spare time in the morning for some training. Making the dog think during training can be more tiring for the dog than a walk or run.

If the crate is not an option, you could always get a few 4' tall fence sections form Menards and make a small kennel in the garage or in basement.

I know they are not that cheap, but I was able to get 3 sections (one with a gate) and put in corner of garage. This way they have room, and are not in the house...can always put a sheet of plywood on garage wall to protect that.

2c2c

If he's focusing on one particular area of drywall you could also try using the bitter apple spray. Just spray it on the wall where he's been chewing and he'll get a pretty nasty taste next time he goes for it. When my dog was young and chewing on a few random things he shouldn't be thats what we used and it always worked the first time. One bad taste and he'd never go back to it again.

The only other thing I can think of is that the dog might be bored with too much energy when you're gone. Is the dog getting enough exercise? Maybe a walk or a little play time in the morning before you go to work might help. I used to use a little spare time in the morning for some training. Making the dog think during training can be more tiring for the dog than a walk or run.

He doesn't favor a section of wall but does seems to favor the dry wall on one room. Will that bitter apple spray hurt my dry wall

I can't say with certainty that it won't harm the wall but I kind of doubt it. Its basically flavored water with no color. Just don't soak the drywall too much, a light spray should be enough.

I've never noticed any sort of residue or color change or any other sort of ill effect when using it on various items including fabric. Just to be safe you could test it on an area you already need to repair or that is out of sight but my guess is it won't do any harm.

There is certainly no promise it will work but its a rather cheap and easy solution. You can get the spray at any big box pet store.

I have had 4 labs and they all have chewed drywall. The first ate the corner of of a pantry. Bitter Apple did work to stop her. The second favored corners (where two walls met), but Bitter Apple didn't phase him. I currently have (2)8 month olds. The male is fond of drywall, corners, textured walls, even sticks his snout throught the cage bars to gnaw a bit.

I you find the miracle cure, please do share.

Mama Norts