• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mileage/60 mile trip thoughts?

DangrsDaveO

Most of my trips on my 4 wheeler are short trips. I am thinking of going to Lake of the Woods. Make a long run from south shore maybe to Oak or Flag Island. About 60 mile trip on my Outlander. Estimated speeds of 20-30 MPH on a snow covered lake towing a portable fish house and some equipement. Anyone out there done a trip like this? If so how much gas did you use? I would hate to get stranded. Thanks in advance.

Could be a fun adventure! I've not done a winter trek like that but I have done it in the summer on trails pulling a fully outfitted trailer with gear for 5 guys. We did about 70 some miles out to a small lake in the Orr area.

Are you planning on doing this alone? If so I'd take some extra precautions since you may not have cell coverage. Make sure to tell some one your expected route and your expected travel times. I assume you will be using GPS so extra batteries and/or even a backup unit. What ever you get for average mileage I would at least double the amount needed (at a minimum) to make the trip. Be prepared to camp out in your portable to ride out bad weather if necessary. I'd bring extra propane for the heater if you have one, extra food and drink. Hand warmers for sure on the ATV and a windshield would make it even more comfortable. As leech said weather could be a big issue if the snow starts blowing and drifting. You wont be able to average 20 or 30 and may be hard pressed to make 10 mph.

Sounds like fun to me!

Thanks for the responses. I do plan on bringing extra supplies. That is why I was curious about the gas mileage thing. Sounds like I should bring extra to be safe. Oh yes the weather on LOW can be tricky. I am trying to get a couple of crazy ice fisherman to go with. I might wait until March, then I will need to bring suntan lotion too! Thanks for the replies.

full-12092-28937-outlandertub_web.jpg

We have done it from the end of Adrian's road. I was on a 660 Grizzly and another guy on a 400 Outlander. I was pulling a X2 and he had a Med Otter. Not a big deal at all. We both moved around alot durring the day and still had plenty of gas left but we did bring extra just in case. I wouldnt do it alone though.

Dozer, that run sounds exactly like the type of trip I am planning. Plowed road for what 11-14 miles and then another 12 to Oak Island and bounce around. Thanks for the reply, I knew someone had to have done it before me. So did you catch anything? I have stayed at Sportsman on Oak Island a couple of times and Wack the guide had us on fish. Great time. That is why I want to head back but be portable.

Garden is just like anywhere else on the lake, its hit or miss. Can be great, can be dead. Suspension for your house is also important. The first time I went I didnt have anything, Everthing in that house will be upside down and DESTROYED! It gets rough out there. I built a sleigh for my house to ride on, I will see if I can get a pic up.

full-21173-28939-house.jpg

Not the best picture but its all I have. The skis on the sleigh are old school ones with leaf springs on them. I take the house off the sleigh when I get to the general area I want to fish and pull it behind the house on short moves. With the suspension I can pull the house as fast as I care to go, had it up to 70mph on the trail behind a snowmobile!