• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kewaunee

Kewaunee

Well it's that time of year again and I need to put in for my trip over there and was wondering what you would think would be the better time. Normally we go the week after the 4th of July but are rethinking that from the way the bite was last year and looking at late June instead. I know it's a long time away and a dump shoot but what are your thoughts on it?

Last year it seems like the bite was earlier than usual. As I recall, people were thinking it was due to the early warm spring. Traditionally July is the hot bite.

The trips we take each year are 2-3 day weekends. It costs more to go back and forth like that for sure, but we can spread it out to get on the water as the bite and weather changes. If you are hauling your own boat you can store it at Salmon Harbor between trips as well.

Week after the 4th is always a good bet. Cold water blew in close early last year and the bite was on in June(unusual). I used to head over there the fourth weekend and the weekend after but in years in the recent past the bite hasn't really taken off till later in July. That being said, moniter the water temps and plan to head over when you can. Last week in June and first week in July has been good but things change from year to year and day to day. A safer bet is to plan a week out, if your not able to do that then stay current on the bite and head over. Mid June has a decent bite so if you are heading over early you should do okay. It kind of becomes a dump shoot depending on the winds and where the cold water is blowing but you should still do okay in June.

Tunrevir~

+1

The traditional good bite is usually July, however the best bet if you can remain flexible is to see what the water temps do and where the bait fish are. The reports start heating up and it's time to go!

interesting. Thanks for the input. Did my first trip last year in early sept and we did very well. But the reports earlier in the year were solid so I have no idea as to when the "best" time to go is. Like was said, ill be making my decision a week out.

Heck the bite was fantastic in April last year and I wish I could have been there. Anyone do an early trip in late April or May? I'm thinking of trying to fit a long weekend during that time frame this spring.

Borch

I haven't been out that early but sounds like a fun time. I'd imagine the bows and browns would be going good nearshore at that time. The cohoes would be going good further to the south but might be biting well in Shaboygen at that time. They start pretty early.

Tunrevir~

we will be heading out soon as the the reports begin to look solid. Its a long drive from ND but is definately worth the trip. Borch we will be doing long weekend about that time, Maybe early may, after sturgeon is over on the rainy.

I have gone at various times from June through Oct. to that area. I particularly like late June. Water is warm enough to bring in all the Kings, and cold enough usually too, to find quite a few Steelhead out in the deeper depths near the surface. Many times you can hit the Kings in the early morning hours till mid-morning, then simply troll to deeper waters and add a few top water baits to the spread to catch Steelhead while still hitting the Kings. One year we had way more steelheads then Kings, and that's a nice way to change it up a bit.

Second choice would be in early to mid-July when all the Kings seem to be more concentrated before later in the year when the big Kings start staging and the smaller ones are still roaming all over.

As you know...it's all based on the weather (water temps). The hot bite last year was a little early because of the warm spring. It's alway a gamble booking this early in the year but that's just the way it is. Last year we went the last weekend in June and did really well.

Good luck!