• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brand new gas auger, any special break-in procedure before first use?

JoeKer

Just bought my first brand new in box 2hp two-cycle engine gas auger, wonder if theres a special engine break-in prodecure before using it for the first time? If so, what is it please. Check for leaks, loose screws, etc. any other suggestions for a 1st timer like me? What type of gas 91 non-oxy, any place near Loretto MN have it/closest place? Any and all helpful tips for a first time gas auger owner/operator appreciated! Want to start off on the right foot. Thanks in advance, JoeKer.

do you really need 91 octane non-oxy in a brand new motor? My auger is about 4 years old and I've ran nothing but 87 octane with a bit of corn in it. Never had an issue. I always thought the oxy stuff was more of an issue for older motors.

When I got my auger, I let it idle for about 10-15 minutes and then just started drilling holes. I also ran two tanks of 24:1 or whatever it is through it and then switched to amsoil at 80:1.

EDIT: I just checked the manual for the Tecumseh 2hp powerhead on my auger and it just says don't run more than 10% ethanol through it.

do you really need 91 octane non-oxy in a brand new motor? My auger is about 4 years old and I've ran nothing but 87 octane with a bit of corn in it. Never had an issue. I always thought the oxy stuff was more of an issue for older motors.
Good question, any concenus on this? I said that cause that's what I've heard mention before, I don't know though. Any "experts" out there on this?

I'm about to do the same myself,anyone know where to buy some Amsoil Saber around the Red Wing area?

I just went and got me a gallon of 91 octane but can't find any Amsoil, went to 3 stores and nothin. I'm gonna break it in 50:1 and then switch up to 80:1 after a tank or two.

My old Jiffy hated 87 octane. It would swell the needle seat to the point the fuel pump couldn't reach the needle. No fuel would get to the cylinder. Run the 91. I have had lots fewer issues with lawn mowers, augers, and snow blowers since I made the switch.

I wouldn't run the motor at max RPM for the first couple outings. Maybe even mix the gas a little richer the first tank.