• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Rod Case

Vitreus

I got lucky and found my Plano case at fleetfarm 2 years ago. I think it a type of breakdown shotgun case. It essentially looks the same as the other fishing cases on the market but the price tag was quite a bit lower at $25. Check out the Plano web site.

i bought a otter last year and since then 3 of my buddys have bought theres too. its nice knowing no matter where it gets tossed around in back of a truck or falls off the wheeler that all ur rods are fine. all it takes is one time to break something then it becomes a issue. they are on sale at that fleet place this week too.

I heavily drink otter cool-aid, but I'd honestly look at the Plano tactical rifle cases as an option too. More expensive, but the handle folds away unlike the bulky otter and if not needed, you can get a 36" case to save further space.

I love my Lakewood rod cases and just got an ice innovations case that looks cool too, but have yet to use it. I have some concerns about the locking clasps on it? I went through 3 cases at the ice show until I found one that clasped evenly ad securely.

i use Clam rod case as well as an HT I picked up from walmart during a sale. I run over to Menard's or any other 5 and dime hardware store and get the plastic florescent light protectors, cut them down to fit my rod and cut a notch in them for the reel.

Cool, thanks Andy. I use Otter now, but I like how that is real easy to just drop the rods into it, and how it has the tackle box area. I can fit 6 of mine in Otter, but I unscrew handles so they are flat.

The video did not show, almost did wink , but can you set it down on the hinge side so it "stands up"? I.e. the Otter case does not have flat "feet" on the hinge end, one thing I don't like about mine. Does it do that Andy? Thanks.

I wish either of these had little "eyes" or holes on the ends for using bungie cords or tie downs to fasten them to atv/sleds/etc. Right not I use a rope kinda gig to fasten my otter to the rear rack on atv, but it is kinda kludgie how I do it, with rope/bungie looped around the handle. Looks like I would have to do the same with this one. For just sliding into a tub both of these work the same and work well, but if going on atv without towing tub, then you to bind it down somehow.

BoxMN,

The Ice Innovations case can stand up via on the hinge end. Although this may be the ultimate protection rod box there are some negatives. Its the biggest, bulkiest, heaviest ice rod case on the market. The inserts does not allow short rod handles to sit and you'll have to resort to modifications. Hence from my picture you see I used PVC pipe to allow some of the rods to seat properly. It was a minor feat to fit all 9 rods into this box for me.

If your using this case always near a vehicle or from ATV there should be no problem. However if your carrying or dragging a sled and walking a distance to your fishing spot you will want to choose something lighter and more compact. In part have a backup case or bag to carry only the reels/rods you need for that outing.