• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

refilling 1 pound cylinders??

Ben626

" Federal law forbids transportation if refilled-penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment(49 U.S.C. 5124)"

Seems clear to me. Right off the label on a Worthington tank.

That's the problem, you need to read (49 U.S.C. 5124) it is an interstate commerce law, not for individuals refilling their tanks for themselves. It would be different if we were selling them.

Here we go again. Someone asks an honest question and the responses descend into an argument of who is right and who is wrong. Nothing but FUN at FM.

I'm really intrigued by the earlier post about "if you don't have common sense, then don't do this". At what point does a person who does not have common sense know that they do not have common sense? laugh

With all the experienced responses speaking against this procedure I think it's fairly safe to say this is not worth the risks involved to save a few dollars per cylinder. The extra $8-10.00 spent per year could save you a lot of trouble. Does that make common sense? smile

That's the problem, you need to read (49 U.S.C. 5124) it is an interstate commerce law, not for individuals refilling their tanks for themselves. It would be different if we were selling them.

This is correct. I have brought up 49 U.S.C. 5124 but no one here seems to care. The law printed on the 1 lb bottle is similar to the "do not remove" tag on the bottom of a matress. They apply to commercial entities, not to consumers.

Here we go again. Someone asks an honest question and the responses descend into an argument of who is right and who is wrong. Nothing but FUN at FM.

I'm really intrigued by the earlier post about "if you don't have common sense, then don't do this". At what point does a person who does not have common sense know that they do not have common sense? laugh

With all the experienced responses speaking against this procedure I think it's fairly safe to say this is not worth the risks involved to save a few dollars per cylinder. The extra $8-10.00 spent per year could save you a lot of trouble. Does that make common sense? smile

Bottom line there are plenty of people refilling these things that do not have problems, you all have a choice either do it or don't. Just trying to show that there is two sides to this coin, and I get sick of everyone claiming it is illegal to do it when they look at the label on the cans and don't read the actual law that is referenced.

The extra $8-10.00 spent per year could save you a lot of trouble. Does that make common sense? smile

The hassle to refill the tank makes it not worth it to me, regardless of any real or perceived savings on the actual propane. But, there are some who will look to save a penny every place they can and that's fine if it's their prerogative.

Would anybody be interested in one-pounders that are refillable? I could make some.

The whole unit would be bulletproof, but, it'll cost a pretty penny for one of these.

I think you'd be better off making a 2-3 lb tank. If they cost a bunch, it wouldn't be practical to keep a bunch on hand. Only issue I could see if if people are using an appliance that relies on the little tank for the body of the item (some lanterns and those little buddy/sportcat heaters).

That being said, I love my little tank. I just make sure not to use the types of items above. I pulled mine from a little portable propane torch set we had at work.

I've had the adaptor to refill the 1lbers for a few years.

Never started refilling them until last fall. This topic would always come up and I'd read it then kinda shy away.

Then I realized really how stupid I was being. I refilled propane bottles at the coop when I use to work there. Not only that but I've been trained and work with NH3 tanks hooking them up and refililng them.

So I know how to handle this stuff and have decided to refill. Used three today worked great.

When i started this thread i had no idea what a debate would have been started (this is a good thing) and there is alot of good and valid points. Today i was at Mills Fleet Farm and you can buy a 4 pack of one pound cylinders for $9.99 wich is a good deal.

Me personally im not gonna be afraid to refill a cylinder. But for $10 for 4 pack is kinda hard to justify if its worth it or not.

I think you'd be better off making a 2-3 lb tank. If they cost a bunch, it wouldn't be practical to keep a bunch on hand. Only issue I could see if if people are using an appliance that relies on the little tank for the body of the item (some lanterns and those little buddy/sportcat heaters).

True, 2-3lb tanks already exist. I was thinking this would be good for somebody that only uses a pound or two every time out. Also in the case of a little buddy where one would want a screw on tank and not a separate tank and hose.