• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

refilling 1 pound cylinders??

Ben626

mine works fine. just make sure the 20 lb tank is warm and the 1 lb tank is cold. screw on 1 lb tank to adapter on the big tank, tip 20lb'er upside down, open valve for 60 seconds. 1 lb'er should be full. in the winter i leave the 1 lb'ers outside, and put the 20 lb'er in warm water in bathtub, works good for me.

Do a search on both this site and the web and you'll find a lot of reasons not to fill them. A close friend of mine and I go through probably 20-30 1 pound cans a year together. I usually buy about half of them and he refills the other half. The ones he fills are always having problems with valves sticking and leaking. When you can buy them for under $3 a can, you're not saving much more than a dollar a can. On a side note, quite a few years back a few buddies and I were drinking around a fire and one of my buddies decided it would be a good idea to throw a 1 pounder in the fire and shoot it with a 12 gauge. To say the least the explosion was impressive. $1-2 a can in savings is not worth the risks.

Ive been doing it for a dozen years or more, before you attempt to refill these tanks make sure you are a person that has a little common sense, if you don't have any common sense or have very little DO NOT REFILL you will likely get hurt!!!

One of the guys that fish with us regularly should never refill a LP tank, he would probably blow up the whole neighborhood.

This was last February. I have one and have done it but stopped after this. To each their own!

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.

Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.

Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

After seeing flames shoot out of a leaking 1 lb cylinder on a heater a few years ago, I won't use refilled 1 lbers and I don't even want to be anywhere near them. I don't care if they cost only $.50 each to refill or even if they are free .... you couldn't pay me enough to use them.

We're in America, the choice is yours to make, refill if you want to, buy new ones if you don't. Now it really cant get much simpler than that can it?

Untill one leaks and blows up for some reason in your vehicle when your close to me. It is against fed law to refill and transport them.

my dad refills ours i wont do it and i think he has since stopped

true if you do it right and use common scence you shoulod be fine

but ya never know theres enof stuff out there that can hurt or kill ya i dont feel i need to add to that

we just got the adapter for the buddy heater and use a 20lb cyl for that it feel safer with the fuel outside anyhow

and i do have a gas lantern that uses 1lb cyls but i am looking into a recharable light and i only use new tanks for the light

i go thro less than 10 of them in a season anyhow

just keep in mind there r plenty of things you can do in life to save money dont have to risk your life doing it not to mention all the time it takes to do it time is also worth something

The choice is yours to refill or not, I respect that. I only ask the people who fish/ride with me let me know there are refilled tanks with us so we can treat with the proper precaution.

If you choose to invest in refilling equipment, a fire extinguisher might be a good thing to add to it, if you don't already have one for your boat.

People already think I'm nuts to travel out on a frozen lake and then drill it full of holes. But I'm not crazy enough yet to play with a fire risk in a small flammable tent, and as a fool, I am a smoker, so I don't want them in my jeep. 2c

It is against fed law to refill and transport them.

Have you read this law? Before you post information as fact you may want to read the actual statute that is printed on the label of these 1 pound cylinders. I read it and I am breaking NO federal laws in refilling and transporting them to my fishing spots.