• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkey rookie

Scoot

I'm a clueless wannabe turkey hunter. Any suggestions on a good "turkey hunting for dummies" book? Also, I'd like to learn turkey calling basics using a diaphragm call- suggestions on which calls to look at and a cd I can play in my truck to practice while driving would be much appreciated.

Scoot, can't give you any advice on specific books, but anything you can find wriiten by Brian Lovett, Ray Eye or John Trout Jr. will be worth your time. I'm sure there are many others, but these come immediately to mind.

As far as CD's go, again I have no specifics, but some of the big hitters would be HS Strutt, Primo's, Quaker Boy and Knight & Hale. I'm sure there are many other good ones out there. Look for a package with two or three diaphram calls with a CD included by any of these mfgs and I'm sure you'll be on your way. A word about mouth calls. I buy several each year and throw most of them away after just a few minutes of practice. Most just will not fit, or work FOR ME. I have found half a dozen over the years that I stick with, all others are in the trash.

Plan a long learning curve, and yes, your truck is THE place to practice. Don't do it in the house, you'll soon be divorced. grin

One last thought about calls. I know as a bowhunter you think the diaphram is the call for you, and it might very well be. I used to think it was the only way to go for a bowhunter for the obvious reason of leaving both your hands free, but I'm telling you right now, it is not enough. If you ever go into the woods without AT LEAST one good box call and one good slate (or glass or acrylic or aluminum or....) call, your chances of calling one in go way down. Certain days demand certain calls, that's just the way it is. Those calls can vary day to day, even hour to hour.

One more thing about bowhunting. IMO you need a decoy. Birds today are getting more decoy shy because they see so many, but there are some really nice ones out now that make a big difference. Check out Zink Avian X, Dave Smith and Best Turkey Decoy for realistic (and expensive eek ) decoys. A decoy is what will bring the birds in CLOSE for that shot opportunity you have to have when bowhunting. A pop up blind also makes it SO much easier to be able to draw on a close up Tom. Bowhunting without one is very difficult.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

BTW, don't forget, MN apps need to be in by Jan 10, unless you buy the OTC archery tag for late season.

Scoot, I think you'll be surprised at how 1-dimensional diaphram turkey calls can be. Each of the call types have a purpose and a place in my vest like Don said.

The box call is simple and has volume and some versatility. The slate calls are my favorite. I carry two pots and 2-4 pegs. The variety of sounds that I can make is amazing. This is certainly my favorite way to call. ANd of course the diaphragm call is great for hands free and versatility. Not always the loudest, but fortunately you can carry several calls, although its not always the easiest to change call on the fly because as you know they need to be wet and well-placed to work.

I didn't read any books, but I found some instructional DVD's very helpful especially HS Strut.

DonBo likes to spend money and carry lots of gear. wink

I tend to hunt birds that are called to a lot on public land, and often times using a call will just make the birds walk away. Where I hunt in the Black Hills of SD, I like use a loud box call to try to get a gobbler to respond on a far off hill. Then I move in and hope they will continue to respond and maybe actually be dumb enough to come over and check me out. Hens more often than not will simply walk away in response to any calling, and any gobblers with them will follow along. That happens a lot to me. I do own a slate call and a diaphragm call, I use the slate frequently and almost never the diaphragm just because I can't use it well... Every once in a while I will find a bird that likes what I have to say though.

Public land in MN usually means absolutely no calling at all in my experience. Birds will not respond or come in except for maybe when on roost in the early morning. I hunt heavily pressured public land though, guys on private land say the complete opposite.

I own a few decoys, but almost never use them. The hassle of hauling them around is too much for the run and gun style of hunting that I prefer.

Bow hunting for turkeys almost requires the use of a blind and sitting over decoys. It is very difficult to draw your bow while a bird is in range so it won't see you. Possible, but extremely difficult and frustrating.

I like to sneak up on birds, or ambush them after spotting them. Ambusing isn't very rewarding if the birds are just marching to a known destination. When chasing unresponsive birds on public land that just like to walk away from you it is sometimes the only way to get one. Sneaking up on a bird that is gobbling like crazy with some hens is very exciting. Some books and people will tell you that my style of hunting is very dangerous and such because you could get shot by someone. I've not personally had that problem though. I think it is technically illegal in a few states as well...

Anyway, that's my 2c

Many pros will tell you it's ridiculous to believe turkeys can become "call shy". Real birds make noises all the time. If you just listen to what's going on around you in the turkey woods and fit in with with what's happening around you, you should be just fine. Yes, sometimes (maybe most times) little to no calling, or very quiet infrequent calling may be your best bet. Other times you can not call enough to keep up.

A few years ago I sat in on a seminar given by two very good turkey hunters. One will tell you he never lets up on his calling till he pulls the trigger. The other rarely calls at all. Both are very succesful hunters. Just goes to show you there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it works for you.

Didn't mean to imply there is a right and wrong way to call or hunt turkeys. I was just saying how I experienced things. Birds I tend to come across on heavily hunted public land are very quiet, and trying to call to them is usually a bad idea.

I disagree with any pro who says birds do not get call shy.

Many of the best self proclaimed turkey hunters (measured by kills) best talent is securing priviate land (own, lease, outfitter, friend, neighbor).

To DonBo's comment. I have found real birds are much quieter on public land too. I will have a bird or flock come by on public land often never making a sound as they appear and walk by. On private land they often are squawking, clucking and putting the whole time. Nothing louder than a bunch of jakes on low pressured private land.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I appreciate any and all info I can get. It's interesting the similarities between thinking about calling turkeys and what I'm more used to, elk. Hearing the divergent thoughts about what works, when to call, if to call, if they get call shy, if they behave differently on public land, etc. reminds me a whole lot about the discussions I've heard and had regarding the topic with elk.

I will say this- I've called in many dozens of elk on public land now and this happened in places where locals and "people in the know" informed me that elk simply couldn't be called because they were "too call shy". "...and don't even think about bugling in a bull in these areas", said many of these elk hunting experts. I've bugled, as opposed to cow called, in about half of the bulls I've got within bow range.

I love calling and that's what has made turkey hunting start to appeal to me. If I find I can't be successful calling turkeys, I'll either get better at calling turkeys, or I'll probably give it up and go fishing. I'm pretty bull headed though, so hopefully I'll figure out a way to get good enough at calling to shoot a turkey or two.

Your experience calling elk gives you a huge foot up as you start turkey hunting.

Having confidence in calling is key and that “gut feeling” you develop to decide when to call and when to be quiet can make all the difference. If you’re used to a diaphragm for elk, the learning curve for you just got a whole lot shorter.

Each call type tends to make certain types of sounds easier, but with practice, you can become proficient making most calls with any type. Personally, I rarely use anything but a diaphragm anymore. But I use a diaphragm differently in different situations.

I think what you experienced with elk on public land holds true for turkeys. I personally don’t think turkeys get shy to calling, but they definitely get shy to “bad” calling. They get pounded by multiple hunters making the same repetitive call sequences over and over. But set up on those same birds with natural sounding calls, and mother nature will take over.

Everyone has certain aspects of hunting that turn their crank. I’m like you from the sounds of it. The calling and responses are why I’m out there.

Good Luck!

Everyone has certain aspects of hunting that turn their crank. I’m like you from the sounds of it. The calling and responses are why I’m out there.

Good Luck!

It is most definetly more about the gobble than the gobbler. smile

Quote:
The calling and responses are why I’m out there.

Good Luck!

It is most definetly more about the gobble than the gobbler. smile

Agree - love hearing them gobble and respond. Unfortunately I break the silence is golden rule too often - thought I would steer someone else down a better path before it is too late. smile

Just because he is quiet does not mean he is not working his way towards your position.

While I'm a turkey novice too, I think the shaker style gobbler call has it's time and place. I think this call really helped bring in the tom I shot this past spring. Granted, there were several other factors that might have helped me take this tom, I really think the gobbler call helped.

I have a good box call that I use and I really like the Primos push button type call too.

Welcome to the obsession that is Turkey Hunting, Scoot!!!

Brian

Scoot,

You'll find that like Elk, much of turkey hunting success falls outside of being a great caller. Woodsmanship, reading the animal, deciding when to sit or make a move on an animal. Then there's stuff like wing flapping, leaf scratching to put birds at ease.

I think you'll be fine. Like I've said many times on here that the worst sounding turkey call I have ever heard came from a real live wild hen turkey. Man she sounded awful! It's more about the volume, cadence and pitch.

Enjoy...