• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you run your h2o off...

mnfathead

Question

14 answers to this question

Do you still have your cigarette power cord for it, and does it still work? If so, YES, go to the hardware store or autoparts store and get a cigarette lighter adapter with alligator clips. Clip off the alligator clips (be sure to mark which is positive and which is negative) and install crimp on 1/4" spade female quick connectors.

If you don't have the cigarette power cord you may be out of luck, they stopped making them and working ones can be hard to find.

Cigarette lighter Conanted to alligator clips to run cell phone, fans, gps, dvds or whatever that has a cigarette lighter power cord. Would this work? It would be nice for the kids to be able to use the dvd player that has the cigarette lighter power cord and for a cell phone to.

Absolutely it can be done. CAMAN's response was spot on. I did it often with a cord that came with my Rapala electric filet knife -- one with the female cigarette lighter adapter on one end and alligator clips on the other. That knife also came with a cord for plugging into 120 home current that works with gps. Very handy.

When you say "sled" do you mean snowmobile? If so, does it have electric start and a battery? If it has a battery you can make it work. If not, the output from the lighting coil on a snowmobile is AC and would not power your DC device without rectification and filtering.

If you are talking a pull type sled with a 12V battery you are in business with a lighter jack and a charging adaptor.

I asked this on another forum too. Why did they stop making the h2o ? I love mine and its going to be a sad day when it quits working

The H20 is decade-old technology. A decade is a LONG time. Roughly every 18 months, processing power and memory capacity that's available in mainstream will double. That means a GPS made today will contain (roughly) 50 to 100 times the processing power of one made a decade ago. Look at phones, for instance.

The H20 uses one of the slowest CPUs I've ever seen on a GPS. It has not enough memory to load navionics maps for the whole state, you have to constantly reload different regions. It's long in the tooth and showing its age quickly. It was a good GPS in its day, but to question why they quit making them would be like asking why apple quit making the apple 2e back in 1990. In technology, if you're not changing and evolving you're dying.

For some reason Lowrance lost their mojo for a few years and everything they came out with was junk. Perhaps they outsourced the development or replace the guys that knew something with new grads that didn't know anything.

They ended up going broke and being acquired. I hope the current stuff is better than the carps they were building then. They tried to replace the H2O with something... Endura? flopola.

Buy a garmin and don't look back.

Just don't cut off the cigarette lighter plug from the GPS, phone, etc. adapter cord and wire it direct to the battery. While not all do, a good many devices have voltage regulator in the cig lighter plug that steps down the 12V to whatever your device uses. Removing that and wiring direct could let the magic smoke out of your GPS, phone, etc.

Wire up the socket as shown and just plug in like you do in the car/truck.