• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

transom repair

shaunlenway

Working on replacing transom on 97 lund rebel. All tore apart and I have the marine plywood. What is the best way to laminate the two 3/4" pieces together?? Epoxy? It looks like the factory transom was just stapled together. I have been reading a lot and really have not found an answer. After getting the wood replaced should I use stainless screws with some 5200 to replace bolts and rivets I took out?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shaun

I would not want to be the next guy in l;ine to replace that transom if you use the 5200 to glue your wood to the boat. Yes, it is that good. When I replaced the transom on my duck boat, I used epoxy to laminate the two pieces of 3/4" plywood, and then sealed the entire laminated piece by covering all surfaces with epoxy. Once dry and cured, I used stainless bolts to secure the wood to the transom. Also, any bolt at or below the waterline, I used 5200 to seal the hole.

Hope this helps.

Dukhntr

If you're going to laminate two pieces of ply together with epoxy, make sure you coat both pieces in epoxy, let it absorb into the wood, then apply one more coat while it's still somewhat wet. After that, while it's still wet mix up some epoxy with wood fibers, cabosil, (I even used flour to thicken it up) and adhere both pieces that way. I have a ton of cabosil left over if you need some. This will create an epoxy "glue" that's extremely strong. Make sure you clamp those pieces together just enough to have some squeeze out around the entire perimeter. Smooth out that extra epoxy and coat the outside edges as well. Do not squeeze the two together TOO hard and not have enough epoxy (people call it peanut butter hence it's consistency) between the two plys.

I did a complete rebuild of my fiberglass boat- transom, deck, stringers...every piece of wood was removed and replaced with epoxy+fiberglass.

5200 works great..sometimes too great. 4200 will do the trick just fine as well for sealing holes but 5200 has some serious adhesive power to it.

If you want to make sure that thing never rots again in your lifetime, over drill the holes, coat the inside with epoxy, then fill those holes with thickened epoxy (mentioned above "peanut butter") let it cure, then drill the correct sized holes for your bolts. This way if water finds it's way past the 42/5200 it won't touch the wood.

Got any questions feel free to ask.

Don't glue that transom in with the 5200. Glue the plywood together with it and wipe off all the excess that might squeeze out, but be careful not to let it glue that wood transom to the aluminum. It'll be that last transom replacement that boat ever goes through...

i would recommend using fiberglass to bond the boards together, the other thing that you need to pay attention to is the thickness of the transom, when using an epoxy, it tends to make your transom less thick. also the fiberglass is stronger. if you have any issues bring it to georges repair.

Depends on where you live. North of the metro there's Kabekona Custom Boats near Bemidji, in the Metro area there's George's in East Bethel and if your in southern metro or south of there, we could sure take a look at it for you.

Steve at Bakken's Boat Shop