• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our first spear house build

northerndave

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ended up with a 24x40 hole. The floor is a 1/2" CDX sandwich with 1.5" foam inserts and 2 by lumber laid flat. Unconventional as heck but it actually gets really strong being sheeted both sides and it puts us closer to the ice. This will all sit in a steel sled/cradle made out of 2"x4" rectangular 14 gauge tubing.

I better get back out to the garage.

more later.

Thanks, there's some detail in the stove, little things that dont show in the pictures. like the door hinges, the bushing portions have a tiny chunk of rod plug welded into the bottoms of the bushings so the L shaped hinge rods bottom out in the bushings. This way the hinges wont settle downwards over time. The door fit is perfect and it will stay that way.

That hinged draft plate below the door allows you to fine tune the draft too. We're excited to get the house together so we can light that stove inside and see how it does.

We've got a river about 6 miles from home that we might set it up on for it's test run.

so I send my dad pictures of this stove and the spear house project for my boy. He txt me back and says he has some decoys for Nate. I said cool! He sends a picture:

2012-12-1895163840.jpg

I'm like, holy smokes! Those are cool! Where did you get them and when did you get them?

He replies "bought them in 1978, never used them."

Lol!

These are cool huh?

One of my favorite spear houses I had was 10'x5' with a door in the center and a spearhole on each end. You could have 4 people in it. 2 at each spear hole. Was plenty of room for a heater and chairs. holes were 4'x2'. Have you thought about this type of lay out?

Hey thanks, yeah I stumbled across bruell decoys in a search too and felt like they matched the red/white one on the right.

It looks to me from the photo my dad sent that they all have metal fins, (bottom fins on the bear creek and all 5 on the bruell)

that's cool.

One of my favorite spear houses I had was 10'x5' with a door in the center and a spearhole on each end. You could have 4 people in it. 2 at each spear hole. Was plenty of room for a heater and chairs. holes were 4'x2'. Have you thought about this type of lay out?

I have a feeling the simple 4x8 we are building right now wont be our last one.

grin

"Darkhouses are like decoys and spears you can never have enough."

Gordie, that is true. I have reached my limit for space here at home for darkhouses unfortunately. Decoys and spears on the other hand are still in play, although I am pretty selective now in what I am looking for.

I have a Bear Creek natural northern like you have there. It was my very first decoy and the most productive for me over the years.

I find myself using it less all the time as my collection grows but it will never be put up.

That red and white on the end(right side) is my go-to decoy. I've been staring at that decoy for 20 years and speared two fish over 40" off it in the last two winters!! I have 4 decoys and rarely will I pull that off my line.

How can you limit yourself to just 4 decoys in 20 yrs?

I've been spearing for about 4 yrs and have over 20 decoys.confused

My go to is Bruell too. Red and white candy stripe.

NorthernDave - Sorry for getting off the subject. Thanks for posting. It's fun to watch your project.

Huey, I only have four at the moment. Most of my life I was in my dads house and had access to his collection. Now I'm starting my own... At 20$ a pop its going to grow slowly, maybe i'll start carving sometime.

Northerndave, I dig the insulated floor as my toes often need wiggling to keep them warm!!