• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger Comparison

Bobcatjerry

My wife has given me the green light for a auger can't decide between the jiffy or the strike master. I drill a lot of holes when I fish. Use both inside a house and outside of house. I have always liked Honda engines, but worry about starting when cold.

Any thoughts?

I have a friend with one of SM's electrics so I know your pain, 10 holes max and super slow. If you want an 8 in hole I would go with the Honda/Strikemaster BUT it has the laser blades and I've spent my last dollar on those, I hated them. The other good thing is the enclosed oil on the Honda that won't run out if you lay your auger sideways. I bought the Jiffy Pro 4 and if I lay it the way they want you to it doesn't fit in my 1/2 ton Chev pick up with the tonneau cover closed. That's not good. The Jiffy is a 36-38# beast but runs great and is has an ultra dependable blade. I already sold my Jiffy and bought an ION. I spoke to the people at the factory for a long time before I did for my application. If you are a run and gun guy either of the two you're looking at will work. I don't think I would have an electric of any kind for running and gunning. Then again, I will never have SM razor blades again either. Also remember, SM is not the friendly little Big Lake company they were last year, a lot has changed there. If the SM/Honda had a chipper blade it would be the best of both worlds. Remember, this is just one guys opimion based on personnal experience.

I didn't know the drills were interchangable on the Honda. I think the razors turn easier and thats why they put them on the small Honda motor and gearcase. If that works, between those two, it would be a no brainer for me. Extra SM drills are $100 or so, Jiffy's are $175.

I had a jiffy for the last 20 years and it was tough as nails. I finally got rid of it last year because I was sick of lugging it around when I would drill 50 holes a day. I bought a strike lite 2 last year and I love it! Strikemaster is the only way to go if you drill a lot of holes. For my type of fishing I would not hesitate to buy the Honda! They are not any more cold blooded than anything else out there. When you start it just let it idle for a minute or so and you should be fine. My honda ATV starts when other atvs won't. If you only drill a few holes a day and re drill in a shack than I would buy the pro 4. You can't go wrong either way.

The Honda is a easy starter my only concern is the plastic gear case

Darn near everything is plastic on that thing. Feels like a toy, not a tool. I have some serious doubts how long these things are going to last in the cold riding in pickup boxes or fish houses across the lake.

It is a cheesy design with a made-in-China feel, but hey, it's light. smirk

The new jiffy is all plastic and it's made in CHINA . My old old Jiffy 30 Tec is all metal made in the states still runs great but it is HEAVY . Power is not a issue with the Honda I have that same engine on a garden tiller it has a ton of grunt. .

My buddie bought the new Honda/Strikemaster, we played with it for about two min before the throttle cable became disconected. We got it fixed but there seems to be some serious binding isues in there . All I can say is this thing doesn't seem to be up to the normal Stikemaster quality standards. I myself would stay away from the new plastic auger 2c

My buddie bought the new Honda/Strikemaster, we played with it for about two min before the throttle cable became disconected. We got it fixed but there seems to be some serious binding isues in there .

I noticed the same thing with the one I was looking at.

Well, for me it's a no brainer. I have the jiffy pro4 and here's why.....

First of all, I drive an SUV. No fumes and mixing of gasoline to deal with. I'd rather carry a 1 lb. bottle of propane vs. 1 gallon of gasoline.

Second, I know it's a bit heavier than other augers, but if you use it right,,,the weight should help making drilling easier because you don't have to work as hard pushing down. Just guide it.

Third, the blades that come with it are extremely sharp, and Jiffy warranties it for so many years.

Fourth, customer service is top notch. If I ever have any questions/concerns they never doubt me. They are easy to work with. For me, I think that goes a long way.

My 2 cents.

My buddie bought the new Honda/Strikemaster, we played with it for about two min before the throttle cable became disconected. We got it fixed but there seems to be some serious binding isues in there . All I can say is this thing doesn't seem to be up to the normal Stikemaster quality standards. I myself would stay away from the new plastic auger 2c

I was looking at the strikemaster with the honda last night at fleet farm and the same thing happened on the display model. I was working the throttle lever to feel the binding and the cable came undone. I would stay away from the strikemaster until this issue is fixed. I have heard a lot of reports of this happening to these units.

Enjoy your new toy! Honestly you can't go wrong with either, they are both great augers! I would have gone with one over the strike lite if weight wasn't my #1 goal. No doubt the Jiffy will probably out last the strike master.

The new jiffy is all plastic and it's made in CHINA . My old old Jiffy 30 Tec is all metal made in the states still runs great but it is HEAVY . Power is not a issue with the Honda I have that same engine on a garden tiller it has a ton of grunt. .
I think if ya do just a wee bit of research you will find the Jiffy Pro 4 engine is made in California which I think is still part of the USA.

Why not get an auger made of steel and lightweight? Nils Master IMO is the most reliable auger out there... No vented cap for gas to leak no need to carry extra gas a gallon will last a season for the price of 2 one pounders...

It's a bit moe than I want to spend. I think are over the 600 mark