• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On Sunday I was out pheasant hunting and had 2 shells misfire out of my 870 Wingmaster. I've NEVER had this problem with em before. I've been shooting 870s my whole life and almost always use Federals, especially lead. The firing pin was striking the primer, leaving a dent, but not firing. Any idea what would cause this to happen? Both rounds came out of the same box. They were the red box, high base #5s.

It's possible, while unlikely, that your firing pin was light striking the primers. If there is a physical clog in the firing pin channel it is possible to have this happen. Too much oil on the bolt face can cause this to happen over time, gradually getting worse until it happens every time. This actually happened to me last weekend with an xd40. Every single round had a primer strike, but no bang ... All factory loads too. Pulled the striker out and cleaned the whole assembly. The striker spring looked like it was dipped in peanut butter. Without pulling it apart, however, it looked perfectly fine. Shoots like a dream now ...

Worth looking into perhaps, if nothing else maybe for future reference if you encounter something like this again.

Quote:
Pulled the Striker out and cleaned the whole assembly. The Striker spring looked like it was dipped in peanut butter. Without pulling it apart, however, it looked perfectly fine. Shoots like a dream now ...

I've seen that happen too with a dirty action.

Primer issue more then likely, could be not enough primer mix in the cup. Because if the primer went off you would know it. Maybe the anvil got placed up side down they have a vision system for that stuff but sometimes they stop working. Or use to anyway. I made primers there for a while. I would call and tell them, more then likely you will get some free product. That is what i would do if i were you.