• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

possum

Any suggestions of how to trap the possum that roams my yard, and may be living under the deck?

I have a large live trap that doesn't seem to do the job. Used various stuff as bait. Sunflower seeds have worked in the past but don't seem to be doing it this time.

I also have assorted body grip type traps from small to big. I am a little leery of using these because of neighbors pets.

think cans work the best. but u may have to modify your trap. I had to to catch the ribbits around my place. What I did was cut a board smaller than the width of the trap and 1/2 as long. Put that in the trap after it is set and put it on top of the catch pan. What I had problems with is that they would reach over the pan and eat the bait this way they have to step on the pan to set the trap off. Catch a few older rabbits that way.

Lots of possum in my area at times, definitely hard dry catfood is what they eat here, until my 12 gauge ends the fun. I just left a crumb like trail from the barn to the outside and they tend to follow it eating as they go, they are kinda a nasty critter and our local horse folk like when I pound them, can't forget 1997 when I saw my 1st one I had to do a double take and most people west/northwest of the mississippi think I'm drunk there aint no Georgia Possums in MN, then I show them pictures of the ones I've shot in my yard and say no but we do have the virginia possum, especially east of the Miss.

Good luck hope you crushed em, I did notice they weren't quite skunk or coon like meaning those return night after night after night where the possums seemed to not show up every night and even move on or maybe forget the route although I've had a few diehards that were night after night. Weather/temps also can play a role, haven't seen any of these critters since about deer season, I thought that foggy warm spell would get them goin but maybe I had already thinned the main herd. Skunks were really thick this fall in our area, really thick. Trappers reported that they caught quite a few possums, we haven't seen many, but their traps were showing a fair amount.

Good luck hope you crushed em, I did notice they weren't quite skunk or coon like meaning those return night after night after night where the possums seemed to not show up every night and even move on or maybe forget the route although I've had a few diehards that were night after night. Weather/temps also can play a role, haven't seen any of these critters since about deer season, I thought that foggy warm spell would get them goin but maybe I had already thinned the main herd. Skunks were really thick this fall in our area, really thick. Trappers reported that they caught quite a few possums, we haven't seen many, but their traps were showing a fair amount.

Second night I caught a coon that I could hardly lift (remember I am old and weak). Still no possum. Maybe it moved on. I haven't seen it for a while.