• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a question.. My buddys grandpa passed away and left him his collection of guns.. Amongst it were some old military weapons and one of them happens to be an M2 (Full Auto??) My question is... He does not/not can he afford his FFL but yet he wants to keep the gun and sometime be able to fire it.. Is there a way to check if it is full auto and if it is.. can it b converted to semi auto so he can keep n maybe someday use it again.. Is it illegal just to be in possession of this weapon? What are his options here.. Need answers asap! Thanks

Full auto is not legal in Minnesota unless your a manufacturer of arms or ammo or selling to law enforcement.

If the weapon in question is not in Minnesota and in a state where legal and has the federal tax stamp it can be transferred to another person through a dealer licensed to sell that class of firearm. Just not to someone residing in MN.

The ATF considers any gun that was made as a machine gun to always to be a machine gun so no it can't be made into a legal semi auto.

I think the M2 carbine has the selector switch on the left side and should be markings for safe -semi or full, not sure on that.

If it is an M2 carbine or M2 BMG and in MN. your friend needs to find a good lawyer knowledgable in how to deal with an illegle weapon in an estate. All full auto weapons needed to be registered with the ATF since the 80's and they don't make exceptions now for any that were not registered. Get found in possesion with out the proper ATF papers and the penelties are pretty severe.

Quote:
Full auto is not legal in Minnesota unless your a manufacturer of arms or ammo or selling to law enforcement.

If the weapon in question is not in Minnesota and in a state where legal and has the federal tax stamp it can be transferred to another person through a dealer licensed to sell that class of firearm. Just not to someone residing in MN.

The ATF considers any gun that was made as a machine gun to always to be a machine gun so no it can't be made into a legal semi auto.

I think the M2 carbine has the selector switch on the left side and should be markings for safe -semi or full, not sure on that.

If it is an M2 carbine or M2 BMG and in MN. your friend needs to find a good lawyer knowledgable in how to deal with an illegle weapon in an estate. All full auto weapons needed to be registered with the ATF since the 80's and they don't make exceptions now for any that were not registered. Get found in possesion with out the proper ATF papers and the penelties are pretty severe.

Here's what Wiki says about it. Apparently, there were some .30 carbines originally manufactured as M1s, and later converted to M2s in the field.

Quote:
Initially, the M1 carbine was intended to have a selective-fire capability, but the decision was made to put the M1 into production without this feature. Fully automatic capability was incorporated into the design of the M2 (an improved, selective-fire version of the M1), introduced in 1944. The M2 had a revised wood stock and featured the late M1 improvements to rear sight, a bayonet lug, and other minor changes.

Although some carbines were marked at the factory as M2, the only significant difference between an M1 and M2 carbine is the fire control group. The military issued field conversion kits (T17 and T18) to convert an M1 to an M2. Legally a carbine marked M2 is always a machine gun for national firearms registry purposes.

Talking about a "buddy" who was given a undocumented full auto on an open forum??!! Grace period is over. Tell your friend to lawyer up! The BATFE has no sense of humor when it comes to unregistered full autos.

Can't wait to see how this one pans out... I'm off to make some popcorn and grab a beer...

Carry on...

Full autos are legal in mn with the right paperwork, its only about 500 and a full auto stamp is worth it. A buddy of mine bought a full auto thompson a few years ago. Many m2s are converted m1s. Contrary to popular belief its really not that hard to get the paperwork for one

I woul a d NOT convert it to semi, why turn a $8000+ gun intoa 700$ one?

Full autos are legal in mn with the right paperwork, its only about 500 and a full auto stamp is worth it. A buddy of mine bought a full auto thompson a few years ago. Many m2s are converted m1s. Contrary to popular belief its really not that hard to get the paperwork for one

I woul a d NOT convert it to semi, why turn a $8000+ gun intoa 700$ one?

I disagree... Not all full autos are legal in Minnesota. Only a select few antiques, curios, relics and collectables. Try to get a stamp or LEO sign off for a M16 or real AK.

Class III dealers can own darn near anything with a LEO request letter or a pre-ban dealer sample. As for your buddy's Thompson, I'm sure that's on the "good" list. God knows I wish I had the cash to just feed one let alone buy the dern thing.

Referring to the original post...

If this "buddy" has or can find the proper paperwork for the alleged firearm, converting it into a semi would be a sin! However... If it's in Minnesota, is this one of the "good" guns legal to own by use civies? Don't trust us internet experts! Find out for yourself from a legal eagle you trust.

Seriously, this guy should find a lawyer skilled in the NFA and hope for the best.