• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inexpensive beginner bow?

If you want to enjoy archery again, don't settle for "cheap". There are some nice lower cost new bow mfg out there (as matchset said, Mission is one) but having a bow that fits you and feels good in your hand is the most important thing. Go to a few archery pro shops and shoot as many in your price range as possible. Don't get caught up in name brands, and don't overlook used bows. You can often get a very nice upper end used bow for less than a lower priced new bow. Good luck with your search.

Like Donbo said, USED, USED, USED!

You will be happier with a 5 year old "top of the line" bow, than a brand new lower end bow........ both for about the same price.

Start out simple (whisker biscuit and 3-4 pin basic sight) and go from there if you feel the need.

There was another thread on this awhile back that might be worth checking out. I also agree with the mission bows as well as any fred bear product. Both companies make great economy priced bows. If you go used, I would not look at a model older than 5 yrs. The technology has changed significantly. I think your cheaper economy bows will have the newer technology and be just as good or better than older high end bows.

There was another thread on this awhile back that might be worth checking out. I also agree with the mission bows as well as any fred bear product. Both companies make great economy priced bows. If you go used, I would not look at a model older than 5 yrs. The technology has changed significantly. I think your cheaper economy bows will have the newer technology and be just as good or better than older high end bows.

How much do they run?

Bare bows run about 200-300, you can generally buy them equipped for under $500. From now until probably may or june will be a good time to shoot some bows, figure out what you want, then routinely scour the internet and proshops. Get your name out to them when you figure out what you are looking for and what you want to spend. A good proshop might give you a call if something good gets traded in and it fits you and your price range. I've been looking for a late model bow for my cousin, all set up for under $300. I haven't found much lately. When the new bows start hitting the shelves and the season is over, more will start to pop up.

Another vote for Mission if you want new or check out used bows too. I like the rule of 5yrs or newer for all the same reasons.

Check out a proshop. You can try out some different bows to see what you like and then you can shop arond once you know what you're looking for. A proshop can give you your bow measurements if you start shopping used you will need to know what size you are for draw length and weight.

I looked at some of the more economical bows from the bigger names and of all I have tried, I was pretty impressed with the Bowtech Assassin. Hoyt came out with an economy bow too called the Charger and it looks pretty B.A. There is a 2011 Hoyt out there called the CRX which I really liked too when I was testing at shops. Saw a few that are still brand new online for sub 500 bare bow..

The charger is a great bow. Friend at work just bought this bow last week. I shot it also but also shot the new spider. Both bows are great. For the price the charger is nice. The friend at work was shooting 3 or 4 bows and kept going back to the charger. He looked at Mission and Diamonds also.

Just make sure to shoot a few bows.

Own the Diamond Outlaw RTK package; love it, great deal for under $550.. Need to buy a release and arrows/tips, and your ready to go. Very accurate, even from a nubee like me! Bought it at Cabelas Owatonna, and the guy there helped me a ton.. Good luck!