• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

worse hunting weekend so far this season

I spent 24hrs sitting in stand since friday and have seen exactly 0 deer. I tried 5 spots, 2 of which I have always seen deer but nothing this weekend. 2 of the 3 days I was able to walk in without a light due to the moon. I really hope this season turns around soon. Anyone else have a terrible weekend of hunting? The time in the woods was great though

I feel your pain Maddowg. Sat most of last week with nothing major to talk about. Lots of sign in the woods, but thinking most of the deer are still very nocturnal due to the moon. Maybe this upcoming week will turn things around.

I've seen a grand total of 2 deer since Wednesday.

Both were yesterday, busted them out of a new area I was exploring, they were bedding down and neither had antlers.

I'm really glad I stuck my small doe last week. A 14x scope and a 300 win mag wouldn't have gotten me a deer this weekend.

No deer moving in days, clouds rolling in after a sunny day to block out the moon, wind this evening.. I'm thinking my luck might turn around just in time. I have about 4 hours to hunt tomorrow morning, and if I don't tag out I won't be back at it until December most likely.

I spent 24hrs sitting in stand since friday and have seen exactly 0 deer. I tried 5 spots, 2 of which I have always seen deer but nothing this weekend. 2 of the 3 days I was able to walk in without a light due to the moon. I really hope this season turns around soon. Anyone else have a terrible weekend of hunting? The time in the woods was great though

I would blame it on the Full Moon. I typically do not hunt the full moon as I have always had my worst days hunting at this time.

That's only after 40 years of hunting so I could be wrong.

i feel the exact same way, I think my problem is this dam trail camera, I have pictures of big deer (none since oct 18th) that i have passed smaller ones which I never would have done. Now I have rubs all over and Not a deer seen since friday. If one of the smaller bucks steps out im probably just going to shoot them I'd like a trophy but meat is what the main goal is.

Im just happy Im healthy and i can sit in the woods all day with out a worry in the world

The weekend was much brighter for me than the week before. Two bucks and a doe Saturday morning, a doe and a buck Sunday morning, and a buck and a nubbin Sunday night. It's not a lot but it's more action than the week before provided.

Harvey, I agree with your full moon comment and I'm a little irritated that I was so hard headed in taking vacation time the week before and wearing myself out a bit. The gun opener influenced that decision quite a bit but I think I need to change my thought process on that.

I took this morning off because it was raining a bit. It was just enough excuse for me to sleep a little longer and rest the body and mind a bit. I hope to get a stand moved today or tomorrow and get a fresh perspective on things for the week.

I'm seeing deer but the bucks are NOT with many does. There is some chasing but the does don't seem to be receptive yet.

My dad/son hunted one property and saw 16 does without one buck with them. I hunted a different property and saw 12 does without one buck with them. Lot of does still not ready. Might be a lot different next weekend.

I am hunting out blackjacks way,Seeing many does and fawns every evening.No antlers at all.the scrapes are there and some rubs,but the scrapes just arent freshened very often.Today is my last out till next weekend. I will be there Thurs.-Sun.I hope some rut to start soon!!

Be happy you're seeing something, you don't want your area to turn into mine, 14 of us and we're deerless. Not seeing any either, but that's no surprise when you're not seeing them before rifle on unhunted or disturbed ground, they simply don't wait for opener and start showing up, the few around bury themselves in deeper. My area is in huge trouble, what has survived the last 3 years of slaughter are now being skimmed away even further, everyones trigger happy so any fawn or whatever will do. We need a split season in old zone 4 again. I think the same could go for public landers, split season, split them up. Pick your season fewer days early or more days late.

Musky,

Our zone used to be 4 as well but I think the single longer season has actually helped us. Lot of small parcels that used to have 2 different groups hunt them now have only one group hunting them which means less tags to fill. I'm sure it's affecting every area differently.

My hunting will slow down drastically. I was seeing deer last week while bow hunting. Also, I saw 14 on Sat and 2 on Sun. That coupled with the warmer temps coming will probably hinder the daytime movement.

Still better than working however!!!!

I'm almost to where work is better, our area is void of deer and used to be # 1 in the state year after year. It can't get better because of the hunting practices of 3 groups that shoot everything they can and likely only tag enough so they can hunt till the bitter end, then they all muzzleoad, this is why the wintering herd in the area is extinct. That's the problem as to why there isn't deer to go around because every deer gets shot, wounded or whatever, it's the last dozen deer stands to go up in the area, all this shooting has caught up to the deer in the area and there's very few left and no time or chance to recover, my area stud no 1 cares about tags, you shoot as many as you can, they all butcher on their own so I doubt many are ever registered, put those 3 groups in your area and watch it crash.

Musky, sorry to hear that and yes that can be frustrating.

I know on one of our properties I will probably also start shooting a small buck during gun season if I don't have any venison by then. My neighbors to the north have benefited greatly from me being next to them for the last 20 years. However, I doubt they are taking extras... I might change my tune if I finally see a nice one out there but it has been a long while. Our other property borders zone 3 (antler point restrictions) and has very thick cover on our property and the neighboring properties. The deer around there have a better chance to grow up.