• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nose jammer

bobber guy

I use it all the time, I spray it all over my boots usually. I've had deer down wind at 10 yards and not scent me this year hunting on the ground. Who knows those I use scent control clothes and dead down wind field spray as well all the time. Maybe just a waste of money but I do what ever I can to give me an edge.

compared to other types of scent control, it doesn't appear to be an antibacterial or absorbant control product.

I think it's a cover scent such as what perfume is. The vanillin isn't degraded in water as much as it is susceptible to photo-degredation. The vanillin is going to be effective for 3 hours after exposed to air. After that the ingredient is evaporated or volitized depending on the atmospheric conditions. The colder it is the more stabile it may be, but not much. So look for it to be a 4 hour product at best.

Deer detect and react to floral scents at a much lower rate than a more alarming and unnatural scent. Example is, if you sweat or your hands touch anything on the way in, it'd be best to use something more antimicrobial in controlling scent. Vanillin is just a cover and you're not going to cover odors from sweat or acids.

I don't find Vanilla as much of an attractant either But one thing I will do {most don't} is use gum to help breath oder. I use rootbeer flavor, which rootbeer is aged vanilla. I use gum because saliva really keeps breath odor down.

Another most intesting fact about Vanillin is it's found in trees, tree smoke and....cigarette smoke.

I can attest that it works very well. I've had deer sneak downwind of me this year and they haven't even flinched. Last night I unfortunately worked up a sweat carrying in the decoy and what not and I had 6 does work their way to 15 yards downwind of me and they never smellled me. They also fed their way across where I walked in and didn't flinch. I would highly recommend getting some. It plain works. The reason I tried it was because my coworkers were raving about it. It's funny you started this thread because I was about to start one telling people how great it was working for myself and the people I know.

I have had ok luck with nose jammer , Most of the time deer will step down wind and stop look around and head back from witch they came from . The good thing is they dont stomp and snort at you they just turn around . But have had them walk by and not care ! So I try and use it most of the time

Same thing tonight. 3 does and a buck fed around me all night, eventually making their way 15 yards downwind of me as well as crossing my path in. They just kept going. Now mind you I'm still going through my descenting routine and I wouldn't just hunt willy nilly with the wind. But....its a great extra precaution. Last year in this stand....with the same routine and wind.....ole mama would have been stomping at me.

Ok so what makes this so special over other scent eliminators.

I don't know, but when even the manufacturer says to spray it frequently it could be lil spendy.

Vanillin the ingredient, was discovered in the mid 1800's and was used in the first perfume{emoticon?} of it's kind as an emotional response type aroma. Deer aren't really emotional about it, but the ingredient is not alarming. With the neccessity per manufacturer to spray frequently, it's not a long lasting scent and becomes volatile and evaporates.

Hunt hard spray often....

I think it's what Mel Johnson used as a cover scent back in 1965 when he killed a 206 booner?

vanilla /vanillin same thing, it's a food grade product found in the spice isle

at grocery stores.

The deer tonight were downwind of me 3 hours after spraying the tree. My boots will still smell of the scent days later. As it was explained to me....it does to a deer what the smell of a skunk does to us. It jams Ur nose and you can't smell anything else. Vanillin is found in trees so its not foreign when they come across it.

I just started using it and it seems to work for me. I tend to sweat a lot and was winded a few times early this year. Now I climb up in the stand and spray the nose jammer around me. Even with unfavorable wind conditions I have had deer come in nice and calm. I believe it works.