• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mock Scrape Cam

sticknstring

Thanks... fun watching the lil scrappers go at it. Would be better to have some big guys around though. I'm sure in the next month... one or two will pay a visit. They always do.

Leech - really not much to it. I cut a fresh branch, ziptied it up, scraped it out, and took a healthy leak. That was it! Once a few young bucks check it out and leave scent, you're good to go!

Leech - really not much to it. I cut a fresh branch, ziptied it up, scraped it out, and took a healthy leak. That was it! Once a few young bucks check it out and leave scent, you're good to go!

So, how much will it cost me to get some of that sticknstring deer sent that seems to work so good? grin

Wow, I have never seen a mock scrape work that well. I would start selling those licking branches! You see people buying every other goofy thing in the stores right now! I need one and some scent by Friday! laugh

No does lately, only a constant buck parade. I usually don't get the mature bucks until the 2nd half of November. That's when the bruisers start cruising hard for last remaining does! Not a good year for mature deer in my area. When we had standing corn in '09, '10 was unreal for big bucks. Unless we get some inclimate weather this weekend, it'll be another massacre.

Hey stick is this mock scrape a spot that you have never seen a groundscrape under before or did you do it because you know and have seen ground scrapes their in the past ? Reading on it sounds like you put that branch at that height if so nicely done, I nailed a branch up at the right height but I didn't scrape the ground but you bet it worked, they have scraped under it for 30 years now and it's needed refurbishing in these 30 years and it just so happens I put it in the end of a shooting lane that I by no means have to walk by in the early AM so as not to spook him if he's there.

Perennial mock location, start it up every September prior to season. Helps draw bucks in close at that location. Did a lot of habitat and trail system work this off-season which really sparked this location this year.

Next year, I'm going to aim the camera towards the stand. Have the buck working the scrape with the hunter in the background drawing and releasing an arrow. Now that would be cool!

Pretty neat!!

Stick, how high off the ground did you have the bottom of the branch? Looks like you had to use a ladder to get it up there.

Last weekend I put one of my cameras over a scrape and took a whiz into it, can't wait to check it out!!

That's really cool stick I like your take on deer and hunting. I did my branch thing because the normal old dead branch finally broke off one day and it was like losing a brother lol, thankfully they took to it, I don't mock scrape it but I don't need to really where I'm at, I can't really draw bucks to it, they end up using it anyway and it's deep in a wet swamp on some highground in there, when I get my t-cam finally opening morning this wkd if there's some cool shots I'll post those pictures, I don't need to see my cam before opener, I'm going to where I want regardless of that camera, be cool to bag a monster then go check it and see if he's on video. I don't want to know good or bad if I caught a shootable on there until at least like noon saturday.

Quote:
Stick, how high off the ground did you have the bottom of the branch? Looks like you had to use a ladder to get it up there.

A ladder would've been nice. I'm 6'3" and had to reach high as I could to attach it. When I first put it up, it probably hung down 4' off the ground. Now that it's been worked hard and the branches have been chewed off, it's probably closer to 5'. The young ones have a hard time reaching up and have to get on their hind legs, but the older ones reach up no problem. Here's a before & after. Those leaves and green branches really hold the scent.

I know for years people have worried over peeing around their stand. I think that you pee'ed right in a scrape is proof that deer are not worried about it. I know I pee right off my stand and have for ever. Just last weekend I pee'ed a lot off my stand on Sat (coffee) and since my stand is on a big Oak tree, when I came in on Sunday morning you could see where deer had been scrapping around for Acorns that night all around my stand and about a foot from where I do the deed! I really don't think they know what human pee is until may they learn to associate it with danger. 2c

The new Elite 8 lightsout by Wildgame. Im loving the camera's features, only thing I dont like is the trigger speed. But it gets the job done and the time lapse feature is awesome. Time lapse is going to save me alot of time next year in the early season... You can get them for around $150 brand new on the bay. I have 2 of them and have no regrets.

I was thinkin he was 3 aswell. Hopefully he can make it thru the buck season...