• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley Hunt this weekend

Boonie5

Looking forward to another Ripley Hunt this weekend! Those who were in the first weekend, were the bucks chasing yet? I am just starting to see more and more buck sign in the woods. I think we might be in a good position with the cooler weather heading our way.

First time hunting up here and the word that I have gotten was that it is a mad house of about 2500 hunters all leaving for the field at 0500. Any truth to that? If so, would it be best to wait out the mad rush and go out to the hunt area after the crowds disperse?

I've been up there the past 7 years (knock on wood) and it really isnt that much of a mad house. A lot of people have their spots already and know where they are going. Do not speed because i dont know if it is the MP or not but they are there watching for speeders. I have camped overnight and also shown up at 430 am and lined up along the river. Even along the river i was in before shooting hours. As far as finding a place with no hunters, yes that is possible. If you come to a spot where there are hunters i would suggest to just plan on walking more than 400 yards in and you are good. It is surprising how many people wont go in more than 200 yards or leave sight of the road. if you go to the middle of a section i think you have a good chance on not seeing anyone. Another thing, don't get frustrated with the amount of people. You may come across a section where all you do is see people and that can get frustrating, but if you just take a deep breath and move on there are plenty of places you can go and get away from people.

If you are not camping there or in the front of the line just take your time. I live within driving distance, I use to show up an hour after the gates open, still had to wait so now I sleep in and get there whenever.

We're going to be in a RV, so with no alcohol allowed in the hunt area, where do you go to get a beer to with your supper Saturday night?

I believe there is now a bar right behind the camp area in the barracks that we are free to use also. Im not sure if they serve food tho?

Or bring your own and when you go into the hunting area leave it at someones camper with strict instructions not to touch it!

i am so ready for this weekend!!! should be a great weekend for some woods therapy......having only been once i have a few???

i will be bringing a target , where can i shoot?

is it ok to ride a mt. bike around? i am staying in the barraks and want to bring my bike so i can get around faster

thanks, good luck, be safe, and have FUN!!

This morning my 12 year old just about got his first archery deer. A big 10 with a sticker had a staring contest with him at 28 yards! I was another 50 yards away and got to watch it unfold... the buck won.

About the same time my buddy and a 12 point coming down the road at him till some A**#*% in a silver dodge tried to run the buck down on the road!