• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vacation/Honeymoon

MJBaldwin

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the best spot to put this but I am hoping for some feedback.

My wife and I got married back in Sept of 2012. She is in student teaching until the end of December so we are planning our honeymoon after that. She really wants to go to Maui, Hawaii. I am game for anywhere really (I would have been ok with doing to Duluth for a week) regardless of what I want this is what she has wanted to do for some time so I’ll let her have her way.

My question is how does one go about booking a trip? Do you book the flight then the hotel or opposite? Do you use Expedia? I just have never done this and would like some input

Plan to take the trip around Middle of Jan beginning of Feb.

Thank in advance!

I am going to say view this as one of your first of many tests that you will have to pass to stay married...so far by not bringing her to Duluth, when she wants Hawaii is a good start smile Yep, just start the long process of filtering through the various travel sites. Most will also have combo packages with air and hotel included. Also look at a site called VRBO it will not have airfare, but can often hook you up for lodging at the same price as a hotel, but with cooking facilities that can save you cash from not eating out all the time.

That aside, if it were me, i would also look at other cheaper destinations....Hawaii is EXPENSIVE. This will also be a test as wether you will want to stay married to her wink Would suspect you could find comparable weather wise vacations at nearly half the price. Kind of cheat a little bit and show her a really high price Hawaii option and then present cheaper multiple other destinations letting her know you could have 2 trips for the price of one and then she what she says ....if she goes for the pricey one.....run grin

You should be able to find package deals that include flight and hotel through some place like Expedia, Travelocity, or a bunch of other sites.

Thats probably the easiest way of doing it and likely the cheapest. We did that for a trip to Cabo San Lucas 2 years ago and it worked out well. We got flight and a weeks hotel for $800/person. You can pick the package based on what hotel/resort you want to stay at and then you'll be able to book your flight at the same time.

These packages usually will also come with some food/drink vouchers if you opt to not to the all inclusive route. I know ours came with $150 worth of food or drink which paid for most of our lunches and alcohol for the trip. Personally I never do the all inclusive because then you feel obligated to eat at the hotel restaurants whether or not they are any good. Usually the hotel restaurants are good but not great.

Thanks for the input.Pushbutton, I have tryed the showing her an expensive one and trying to go cheaper just is not happening. Which is OK i guess we have never been on a vacation together. We live in the Fargo/Moorhead area and our trips consist of driving down to the cities to visit family. So we want to have a good time. I want to save money but at the same point have a restful time!

My suggestion is to start using a travel agent. I know it seems old fashion with the internet and all the travel websites, but all our personal travel has been excellent utilizing her services. My wife got a reference for a person at Travel Leaders about ten years ago. We have been using her since. She has gotten to know us and all we do now is tell her what we are thinking and she puts together the package, day trips, transportation, etc. She has never been wrong. Just tell them your price/destination and they do the rest. Our agent is not paid by us, so she must receive some comp from the airlines and hotels. You can waste hours on the internet looking through the travel deals only hoping it is good. Travel agents have been to the resorts/hotels, so they know what’s acceptable to each client.

We went to Maui a few years back and had a blast. Sure is nice not having to deal with immigration, currency conversion and language barriers. We stayed at the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel. They boast themselves as Hawaii’s most Hawaiian hotel. We really enjoyed learning about the culture. Location is excellent with the Whalers Village right there and the best Luau is just down the beach at the Old Lahaina Luau.

Good luck!

I second the pass on Duluth option, and hey, I like Duluth, but not for a honeymoon. As others have said, travel sites or go through an agent. Its your honeymoon and you want to do something that she will be telling her friends about, not that she wouldn't tell her friends about Duluth, but you get my drift

I'm a bit like Johny Cash, I've been everywhere man.

Ask her why she wants to go to Hawaii. I've been there, it's an island, it's warm, fun stuff, and real spendy. If she's looking for an island retreat and you don't care, check out the US Virgin islands. St. Croix, St. Martin, St. Johns. I recommend St. Croix. Tons of fun, nice and toasty warm, same good times as Hawaii for a fraction of the price and not as touristy.

Just tossin it out for ya.