• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DIY Sprinker Blow Out

DTro

I've always paid to have this done and was wanting to maybe try it myself this year. I've done a lot of research and understand how it all works and what is recommended.

With that said, all the pros say that you need high CFM and low PSI. Most recommend nothing over 50PSI.

I think a portion of what I read are scare tactics from those that want to make a few bucks off of me. Kind of like when I learned how to replace my own garage tension springs.

So....

I would like to know how many here have used a standard run of the mill 2-5 gallon garage compressor and what PSI did you regulate it to? Also for those that have done it, have you had any issues the next spring? I don't mind at all spending an hour or two doing this as not only will I save a few bucks but I get the satisfaction of doing it myself and knowing exactly what was done (kind of why I like changing my own oil).

Anyone?

I've tried it with a 25 gal - 230v Campbell-Housefield tank system. My house was only 4 zones with 4 heads each and even putting 100 psi in the tank, it still took probably 3 tank fulls of air per zone to get it clean. All of my zones were running down hill so I was lucky. If any were going up hill, i dont think it would have cleaned it out. Your only pushing 1/4" or 3/8" of air thru the line then it gets into your sprinkler line and it expands to 3/4" or 1". On small jobs it would do the trick, but if you have any dips ln your lines or zones that go uphill you wont get it cleaned out and risk a freeze up.

The pull behind compressors have 3/4" inside diameter that moves a lot of air.

If you can find a rental shop that has an opening in October, get some neighbors together and do them all at once. It is only like $50-60 for 4 hours in prior lake.

Yes, I do blow outs commercially (all though not a ton of them) but they are all my plowing, mowing and fertilizing customers.

You will not get this done with a small compressor. At a minimum you need a 25gallon size or bigger. When you consider the volume of the pipes you are blowing out, you lose a large amount of volume just filling the pipes. It takes that much air just to pressurize the lines and thats before you start blowing anything out.

It can be done and takes a lot more time. Make sure your compressor is up to it. If you don't get a good blow out you will likely spend more than the $75 you gave to the commercial company to have the lines or valves repaired.

I do mine with me 25 gallon compressor. I don't think you could do it with a small nailer compressor as you have no volume built up to puff the system once the primary water is blown out. Also the size of your system matters. If you have any lines over 1" it's going to be tough to push all the water out. You will just blow over the top of the water. My system has grades going both up and down and I've never had a problem in 15 years. My lines are 3/4" and I only have up to 4 heads on a line. Also all my valves are close together so I can switch from one to the other without having to walk a half a mile. I build to 100 psi and hit the valve and let it run till the heads start to drop then shut the valve down. I don't use the controller as it sometimes takes a while to shut the valve down and the pressure drops to low to shut off the valve. If your system is the black plastic poly it is more forgiving than the white plastic PVC. If you have PVC have someone do it as all the water must be out of the lines or the pipe spiral cracks for many many feet when it freezes.

My boss did it himself last winter with a 15 gallon compressor. When he asked me for tips I said I had never had an inground sprinkler so never done it, BUT I told him atleast 10 times to turn the pressure down. The next Monday he came in and started asking me what he had done wrong. I asked what happened and he started telling me this story about making the adaptor and hooking it all up, then turning the air on and a few seconds after, he see's a geyser of mud painting a streak 30 feet up the side of his house, and the sprinkler head landing about 20 feet away. I asked if he had turned the pressure down....his response...."was I supposed to?" :headbang:

I blow out my own 6-zone. $289 33 gallon Sears compressor. 100psi I turn on each zone until the heads pop back done. Let the compressor charge back up and then turn on the next zone. I do that about 5 times to really blow them out dry. Takes some time but, been working great for years. Paid back my cost for the compressor about two years ago grin and now it's only costing my time while I putz in the garage until the compressor builds pressure each time.

Take it from an Irrigation Tech. 25 gal. tank or larger. Depending on the size of your system, even an average 6 zone with 4-5 rotors per zone will probably take you all day to do what a professional can do in 15 minutes. Your portable compressor can't create the volume of air needed. Watched a poor fellow today work on one zone in the time it took me to winterize 4 of his neighbors. There's plenty of guys around the metro that winterize in the $50-$60 range. If you don't trust someone else doing the work, you can rent a compressor for the same price. Or, you could hire a guy like me...sleep well at night...and save some money next spring. Your call.

I think Dave's got the right idea. Invest in the larger shop compressor (who couldn't use a bigger one). Rig it up to eliminate as many restriction points as possible. Using a heavy duty garden hose as your connection between compressor and sprinkler system will help improve volume.

Nearly 25 years of doing my own 6 zone system with a 30 gallon compressor. Have yet to have a problem with anything freezing or cracking. I set the pressure at 90 psi and do each zone twice, takes me maybe 90 minutes tops.

Nearly 25 years of doing my own 6 zone system with a 30 gallon compressor. Have yet to have a problem with anything freezing or cracking. I set the pressure at 90 psi and do each zone twice, takes me maybe 90 minutes tops.

+1

(Black poly 1" lines, 8 zones, with an air quick connect behind a valve plumbed into my garage, turn off the sprinkler water main, plug the air compressor line in, use the sprinkler controller to manual the first zone on, flip a valve to let the air in the system and off it goes. )

I don't go that high with the pressure though.

I only have 10 years of doing it this way without problems.

Make sure to have a zone activated at all times you have air pressure applied. If you follow that rule you can get by with higher pressures.

Don't pay to have someone else do it. You have the most expensive part of the project. I have been doing my own irrigation blow outs for almost ten years with a 15 gallon compressor. Never had an issue. I do go through the cycle at least three times, but in the end when only air comes out of the line after the compressor recharges, I know the line is clean. Some heads in my back yard are about 10 feet higher than the home grade. Keep in mind that if for some reason you did not completely clean a line and it does freeze and crack, it is a very inexpensive fix. Its plastic pipe and fittings.

As mentioned previously, yes, it will take you longer with a smaller tank. Just consider it something to do between sips. Good luck-

As mentioned previously, yes, it will take you longer with a smaller tank. Just consider it something to do between sips. Good luck-

Like smoke a turkey cuz it will tak eall day! wink

I travel for work so I pay to have it done. The neighborhood pretty much chips in on a rental and we all split the cost (I toss in a few extra bucks to whoever blows mine out). Runs me on average $40/ year with zero effort. Worth every penny in my book.

Don't forget to blow out the back flow preventer. You take a little screw driver and turn the petcock open and blow through it. I leave them open when I'm done. Did mine today took 30 minutes to blow four zones turning off and on till no mist comes out of the heads $50.00 in the bank grin

15 gallon Craftsman 2 horse compressor.