• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Back packs.

Comit 2

My wife says I have an obsession problem. As of late it has been camping gear. No not the kind with wheels.

The other day I picked up a US Military Molle II Backpack (rifleman's set) Woodland camo with two sustainments pouches, Gen 4 Frame. (I think I have 10-15 back packs now but I'm not counting.) It is heavy, 8lbs I think but it is fun to play with (I'm working on setting it up with GI gear) So I'm wondering if any one else has some ideas on this and is there a Army surplus store in Mn?

What is your idea of a good back pack and why.

10 to 15 pack is getting up there. I think you should consider attending Back Pack Anonymous meetings.

There are several surplus stores in the Twin Cities. Duluth has one named Minnesota Surplus. They have lots of old military stuff including equipment like gas masks, bayonets, mess kits, canteens, helmets, uniforms, field items, etc.

Been a long time since I was in the service. Back then the pack was something called an ALICE pack. As I recall, everything we had was heavy. Bullet proof but heavy. For the G.I's today, I sure hoped that has changed. Web gear sucked, I thought.

My ideal pack is a Duluth Pack. But then, most of my packing is done on portages. Just got back from a BWCA trip with my girlfriend on Monday. She never used a Duluth Pack before. She was impressed by how you can always fit one more item in it (until she had to carry it).

Quote:
10 to 15 pack is getting up there. I think you should consider attending Back Pack Anonymous meetings.

Ah, not you too. I'm getting it at home from the wife and now here from you! laugh

Yep. I too was in the military. USAF, we didn't get back packs. We just loaded it on pallets and slid them into aircraft (C-130's mostly). I sure don't miss "Broken arrow". I guess I feel like I missed out on something thus the back packs. Back in 1982 I had some friends stop me and they said we are on your way to the BWCA and one of the foursome couldn't go. They asked if I could fill in. I said sure. They said they were leaving in 2 hours! All I had was my USAF duffel bag. That may also have something to do with 10-15 back packs now. I could be worse, I could need a 32 footer or a 20 foot Bass boat! or both!

The Molle II pack will work nice as a winter survival kit for in the car or a night or two out on the Ice. There are much lighter packs for hiking. It would work well for the BWCA also or a Large ALICE with a MOLLE II sleep system pouch attached.

I'm feeling a tug to get a GEN 2 MARPAT ILBE next. Now what could I use it for, Hummmm. grin

To me, it all depends on what you're looking to do. If I'm in the BWCA, I use a very different pack than if I'm thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail. For backpacking (by that I mean, hiking and carrying everything on my back), I use Osprey packs. Super light (though not the lightest out there), nice pocket/strap combinations, and good durability. Pair that with a great customer service, and I'm sold.

For BWCA tripping, I'm all about duluth-style packs. The traditional Duluth packs are great, but other companies make very similar styles. I don't need fancy lightweight stuff when hauling big loads over portage trails/setting them on the ground/packing them sloppily. I need toughness, and these packs are where it's at. Plus, their shape makes it easier to pack up odd-fitting stuff, at least in my opinion.

To me, it all depends on what you're looking to do. If I'm in the BWCA, I use a very different pack than if I'm thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail. For backpacking (by that I mean, hiking and carrying everything on my back), I use Osprey packs. Super light (though not the lightest out there), nice pocket/strap combinations, and good durability. Pair that with a great customer service, and I'm sold.

For BWCA tripping, I'm all about duluth-style packs. The traditional Duluth packs are great, but other companies make very similar styles. I don't need fancy lightweight stuff when hauling big loads over portage trails/setting them on the ground/packing them sloppily. I need toughness, and these packs are where it's at. Plus, their shape makes it easier to pack up odd-fitting stuff, at least in my opinion.

The duluth style packs also are make it a whole lot easier to carry a canoe. Ever try to carry a canoe while wearing an internal frame pack? The portage packs also fit in a canoe much easier.

The Duluth pack I like but but a bit spendy ah.

As far as the ALICE just do a hell cat conversation (ALICE HELL CAT

) add a couple 200 round SAW pouches ,two Mollie canteen/utility pouches and a module sleep system(M, S, S) pouch to the bottom and you have room.

Don't forget your Sven saw!

Sven saws are, as the kids say, "the bomb." Just make sure not to leave them in camp when you leave. There are a few happy folks out there who've gotten a few for free. crazy

I will at times carry a light canoe with an internal frame pack...it works fine if I don't pack it so that it's much over my shoulders.

Quote:
I will at times carry a light canoe with an internal frame pack...it works fine if I don't pack it so that it's much over my shoulders.

That is one of the nice things about the ALICE and the MOLLIE II rifleman's set. The military doesn't have there packs go higher then the shoulders. So if you have to go pron fast you can look around with out bumping your head (helmet) on your gear. So add a sleeping mat and a ripstop tarp to the top of the bag and you have a nice spot to set a cross member of the canoe. Not only that, it is just fun looking for and finding all the different add on pouches.

I'll try to post a pic or two of some of the bag I've put together.

My Greggory Z65 Lg just sets at home, empty.

The Duluth pack I like but but a bit spendy ah.

As far as the ALICE just do a hell cat conversation (ALICE HELL CAT

) add a couple 200 round SAW pouches ,two Mollie canteen/utility pouches and a module sleep system(M, S, S) pouch to the bottom and you have room.

Don't forget your Sven saw!

Kondos Outdoors makes great "duluth" packs and has a sale on right now.

my personal gear pack of choice for the BWCA is Cooke Custom Sewing. Great quality and Dan will add any pockets sleaves or clip points you may want.

+1

His stuff is a bit expensive, but if you've got the $$, it's definitely worth it.