• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel House Brand Choices?

MinnetonkaMan

Hey guys and gals:

Im looking into selling my 6.5 x 16 flat front Ice castle and replace it with a 8 foot wide 16 ft house. I know IC, King Crow, Lodge, salem ice cabin and Yetti are choices but wondering if anyone knew of other builds that are sold in MN or if they have had success with any of the ones stated above. The number one thing is that the houses needs the fold down fourwheeler ramp on the back or two swinging doors so I can bring my wheeler everywhere I go with it! Thanks for suggestions!

The tough part about throwing everyone into the mix is that you have a broad spectrum of quality, options, and configurations.

Maybe you can tell us a little more about what you are looking for? Hydraulic or crank? Fully finished or shell? Loaded up RV style, or more plain? How about an approximate budget?

In addition to your list, add Ice Assault/Innovative Recreation to the list if you are considering a hydraulic frame. The shell and fully finished houses are absolutely top notch, and use lightweight 18 gauge steel studs instead of wood, like Ice Castle, King Crow & Lodge.

Well I feel that IC is the best bang for your buck but there are some quality issues that come along with that. Specs 8 x 16 single axle v front, forced air furnace. Four windows , Four wheeler door/s in back. With three fold up bunks. Stove , front of v for storage. TV Atenea and a few cabinets. Six holes. Plug in for Honda EU2000. LED lights , entry outside light. Crank or hydro. Ours used right now we can sell for $5500 and we can throw in an extra 5k between two of us So nothing more than $11k for budget! Also a number one is that It needs to be able to be pulled by four wheeler when ice is really questionable for truck.

It sounds like light weight is important to you. You mentioned Yetti which would give you the all aluminum frame for light weight. Many of the really cool wheel house set-ups get too heavy to tow well with an ATV. Tongue weight can become an issue for many ATV's ... but there are solutions for that too. Many of the Yetti dealers offer their own custom interior setups too ... more like what you are used to with Ice Castle. The other all aluminum from MN to compare with is Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is more often a finish the interior yourself, or hire it out, type of system. To get the 8'x16' you would need to look at Yetti.

From the guys I know that own steel frame houses, I hear more feedback on the Lodge quality being better vs. the others. If you watch the Ice Castle factory tour on youtube, you will hear that Ice Castle has made the improvements they think were necessary to solve the known problems with their system.

If you seriously want to tow the house with an ATV, I would ask in the forum for feedback from guys towing any brand 8'x16' fully finished house with their ATV. This would likely give you some good parameters on max weight you want to shoot for in comparison to how much interior setup you want to have.

First you will have to have a modification (a wheeled jack?)to the tongue of the wheelhouse, some type of wheel on the front to alleviate the tongue weight. Then you have to consider the total weight of the house, I have a Polaris 500X2 that has a towing rating of only 1500 pounds. I don't know if I would want to put that much strain on my ATV. My 6.5x12 Yetti weighed 1400 pounds unfinished, I have probably added 1000 pounds finishing it out.

I have a Carsella shack. Its a MN built fishhouse. Excellent quality. I have a 6.6'x12' and its very well built. This was built on a tubular frame and not some wimpy angle iron. Also I pull it out on the ice with a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 (which does not have low gear). Very well built well insulated house.

I as well have a Carsella. It works for me. I have never been about fancy. I want practical and well built. Don offered me that with my liking in interior choices. That is why I chose him. Is Carsella a big company with someone answering emails and phone calls and faxes all day. NO. But if you have some patience, know what you want, respect it's not a factory, you can get a good house at a good price. I guess it's that simple for me. Nothing too fancy, nothing I don't want, but fit for me.

I have a 07 8x20 Dream Shak. Nice unit steel frame, aluminum stud walls/ceiling with camper style aluminum siding. Rear ramp which is very light weight. It's got a spare tire which is on a swing arm on the back of the unit, slick design.

The house has 4 seats which fold up for hauling 2 atv's and also turn into beds.

Best part about it is it's got remote control push button up and down!

When driving up 169 the other day just south of hill city there was a place called Mike's outlet I think? They had an 8x16 sitting out front, and several others dont know a name as I didn't stop, but may be worth checking into...