• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Vexilar to go with?

LEECH21

Thanks again for the replies! I will mainly use it for walleyes....about 90% of the time. The other 10% will most likely be crappies. Most the areas I fish are between 7-40 feet deep.

Then I would definitely go with the FL-20 (going back to your original question about either the FL-18 or FL-20). A big reason I say this is because you're probably fishing at night or during lowlight periods, and the Night Mode on the FL-20 is very nice. Otherwise if you don't care a lot about Night Mode, then the FL-18 will work great too. The FL-22 is a phenomenal unit, but for what you seem to be using your Vexilar for, you don't necessarily need it. I would be happy with either the FL-20 or FL-18 for what you intend to use it for... both will rock!

One other quick questions though... do you plan to have other anglers in your fish house that might not have a flasher? Reason I ask, is that the flat screen on the FL-20 is nice if you have a kid sitting next to you or someone else off to the side, because it's easier to see without the cone (like on the FL-18 where you need to be looking straight-on). Just another food for thought when making your choice...

Oh, and one more advantage of the flat screen vs. the cone... if you're outside in the snow the flat screen won't collect any moisture, same with debris... you won't have to clean the screen because snow or debris piles up in there...

I have an fl-22, 2 reasons I got this and got rid of my fl-18 were 10' increments, and the ability to have the 12 bottom zoom, I found I was finding a ton of fish suspended around 4-8 ft from the bottom and I lost a ton of fish because I would lose them bringing them up out of the zoom or have to disable the zoom and lose resolution

Matt and others gave good details on the 18 and 20. Each are great, I use both, myself and with clients everyday of the ice season and they get the job done, each and everyday.

If price is no biggie, just get the 20. If you want to save a bit, go with the 18. Either one will suit you well. And, same goes for refurbs, they are great, either model.

Good luck with your purchase. If you have any more questions on Vexilar and or sonar, do not be afraid to give me an e-mail or call, more than willing to help.

If you're fishing close to structure or break-lines, it is nice to have the option of having a smaller cone. The Tri-beam is also nice if you are fishing in vary water depths. Both transducers certainly work well, you just have the ability to "fine tune" a little more with the Tri-beam transducer.

95% of most ice anglers fish in water less than 60 ft. With that being said, the FL-22 would suffice for most if not all of your fishing needs, unless of course you are fishing for Lakers whistle

I personally own a FL-20, going on my fourth year, I have absolutely not one complaint about the unit. It would be really nice to be able to upgrade to the FL-22 because most if not all of my fishing is done in 40 FOW or less, but I am very content with the 20. As others have stated, I really love the zoom feature, night and day mode, low power mode, as well as the flat screen for viewing from different angles. I also upgraded to the Tri-Beam transducer last hard water season and you can really tell the difference between the standard transducer and the Tri-Beam. I love the ability to be able to switch between different cone angles, while widening or narrowing my fishable area, with the flip of a switch.

All in all, if you are looking for a multi-species flasher, all three Vex's, or any flasher in general (with zoom), should do the trick.

P.S. I am not a Vexilar rep, I just happen enjoy their quality products wink

Leech, don't rule out the Pro View 9 degree cone. If you find your self fishing deeper than 10 feet that would be my choice. I find my self when using the tri-beam always using 9 degree cone anyways.

With that said I'm running two units this tournament season. FL-20 with the Pro View (9 degree) on my Attack Bucket and then a FL-22 with tri-beam on a genz box for shallow water while in my Scout TC.

Matt made an awesome video here on why the Pro View is a really great option. I would watch the whole video but if you want to save some time just start at about the 13:20 mark.

Hey big thanks for these tips!

I'm going to go with the 9 degree pro view, and skip the tri beam as I'm primarily looking for walleye and want smaller/tighter bottom readings.

This video is dead on because I was on a rock, and indeed could not see the bottom using the stock 19 cone angle while I got a kick out of it at the time it could cause me to not see the bottom. I put the camera down and was floored, no wonder the vex is doing this wierd behavior!

Although I don't use a vex anymore day to day I would go to the FL 20 over fl-18 only because of the flat screen for all round use . The Fl 22 because of its depth max would limit me and I don't like a depth restraint because I fish for different species up to 110 fow .

TD

Leech, don't rule out the Pro View 9 degree cone. If you find your self fishing deeper than 10 feet that would be my choice. I find my self when using the tri-beam always using 9 degree cone anyways.

With that said I'm running two units this tournament season. FL-20 with the Pro View (9 degree) on my Attack Bucket and then a FL-22 with tri-beam on a genz box for shallow water while in my Scout TC.

Lawrence 2 questions for you

1st - Where can i find the FL-22HD with the Genz box? every where i look it comes with the pro or ultra package only. I suppose i can buy everything seperatly but would be nice to get it all together at once.

2nd - would you ever use the FL-22HD with the 9deg Pro view? or does that kinda defeate the purpose of the unit being more for shallower water. I fish 80% of the time in water from 10-20' with the other 20% being in around 30'

Thanks in advance

Norm,

First question is yes I piece them together. Not sure why Vex doesn't sell that option as I won't use anything but the blue box or on my attack bucket. I hate the round bases of the others.

Second question is yes the pro view will work awesome with the FL-22. I just like the FL-20 better for deeper water and all around use. My FL-22 really will get used in sight fishing conditions or fishing structure like cribs or weeds. If I only had one choice I would buy the FL-22 with the pro view there are way more positives to having the pro view then the negitives of not having it. But hey I always need the extra vex for my wife.

Thanks for posting the vid!!! I watched the whole thing, very interesting! But, now I'm almost more confused on which tranducer to go with. He almost made the Tri-beam sound like the worst of the 3. Thats the one I was leaning more to. I fish mainly for walleyes and occasionally crappies. The lakes I usually fish are 6 to 40 feet deep. Which one is the best for that range? Thanks

Leech, I've watched the video and I have Fl22 with tri beam. I have not used a Proview so I don't know if or how much better it would be. I've not had any issues with my Tri beam and like it alot.

I run wide beam for 10ft and under, middle beam for 20 ft to 10ft and the small beam for anything above 20 ft.

If I am punching a bunch of holes and I am in deeper water I will run the wider beam as well to search our fish.