• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats size Motor

Chris Barlage

I am looking into getting a used atv but I am wondering on what the smallest sized motor is that I should go. I dont what to be under powered. I am going to be using it for ice fishing most of all. Pulling my portable around and bringing the wheel house out at the beging of the year and off at the end. It is a smaller not very heavy house. Will use it a little for hunting and the occasional ride with the kids.

A 350 or so will do everything you are asking. Things that may necessitate a larger motor: pulling a huge sled, pulling a trailer regularly, adding a plow to it, putting tracks in it, putting larger tires on it, etc...

I agree 350 is plenty, but if you want tracks you need 650 minimum and power steering would be nice. But once you put tracks on you need to haul it on a trailer. Even if you don't want tracks you should get some dimensions if you plan on hauling it in the back of a pickup, the newer crew cabs have 5.75 ft boxes which can be a real pain sometimes you wouldn't think 9 inches would be that big of a deal but sometimes it is. Also try to get one that is efi, they tend to start better after sitting for awhile.

I got a 450 when I got one (used) mainly because of the deal. I use for ice fishing mainly, some wood hauling, but don't use it a ton yet. Friend (old guy who uses his for plowing, wood hauling, trailers, everyday) has a Polaris 325 (335?) and it has lots of miles, lots of wood hauling miles, and lots of plowing ice roads on our little lake. He says it has more than enough power if you aren't in a hurry. He doesn't race it though. FWIW. Good luck, I am glad I got mine, and even though I love my sleds, I gotta say the atv with auger holder up front, rear drop cage, and rear bags, works AWESOME for ice fishing. smile

I have an Artic Cat 400 carberator. It has more then plenty of power for pulling trailers, plowing snow, going ice fishing or anything else. The only time I which I had a larger one is when I'm with a buddy and mine doesn't go as fast!

Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger on a polaris explorer 400.

so you got a wild card and went 2-stroke? its not a bad quad, but if has some miles on it I would check the counter balance oil asap. Those old 400 2-strokes are good machines when maintained, but if it has stock OEM piston I would look at getting the top end done and replace it with a wiseco piston and then you will be set.