• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buddy heater

Coldwater Crappie Guy

Question

I know I have seen a lot of info on here about problems with the Big Buddy Heater...Now I want to read up on it because I am having problems with mine...Actually I have owned it for about 5 years and only used it once and now its not working.

Any help would be great.

I live in albertville and could meet to have someone help me with it or look at it with me.

14 answers to this question

I'm in Monticello and have the same heater. I would be willing to look at it. PM me and we can set something up. Monday,Tuesday, or Wednesday evenings after 5PM work best for me but could do a Saturday with advanced planning.

Thanks for the help on here... I was able to watch the videos that were suggested and clean it out myself!. Works like a charm! Thanks again .

A little maintenence on these guys goes a looooong way!!! People complain about the bad luck with them, in the 10+ years I've used mine, I've NEVER had a problem. whistle

A little maintenence on these guys goes a looooong way!!! People complain about the bad luck with them, in the 10+ years I've used mine, I've NEVER had a problem. whistle

Ha. Call it maintenance if you want, but enough people have had issues with these that there's CLEARLY a design flaw. Whether they want to admit it or not is another question. When you buy it at the store, open it up on a Friday, and it barely works on the first weekend out with it, then it's pretty indicative of a design flaw.

I've used a big buddy. Once. Won't use one again until they figure out how to make them more reliable. Sure, if it's 30 degrees out, they work wonders. Of course, you barely need a heater at all. When it's 15 below and you really need it, then you better have your Mr Heater cooker/heater or sunflower heater along, because it'll work every time.

There are countless accounts of poor performance on every blog/HSOforum that has ever broached the topic. As a direct comparison, I've RARELY (maybe once?) heard of someone saying that their heater/cooker or sunflower heater has failed to operate as expected. And mind you, I'm not bashing Mr Heater in general -- these sunflower or cooker style heaters are made by the same company. Sometimes a company hits a home run with a product, sometimes not.

I'd love it if the buddy heaters were reliable. They're quiet. They have way less emissions than the other style heater. They're more fire--safe and won't burn holes in the canvas on a portable (at leat not as easily). There's a whole slough of reasons to like them. Unfortunately, the ratio of bad reviews to good reviews on the buddy line of heaters does indicate that there's a defect (be it design, manufacturing, or otherwise) that is affecting higher numbers of people than those who buy the sunflower style heaters.

Someday I'll probably try one again.

The mr heaters are not fool proof either.

I've twice witnessed the 3 foot high flame shooting out of a Mr. heater. Once on my own heater, in my garage. Once nearly burned down my buddies ice shack. I've heard of others also.

In my incident, the heater was running fine for an hour or so then suddenly poof flames shooting in the air.

Personally, I'd take no heat over being burned severely in the close quarters of a portable shack.

I've run a Buddy heater and Big buddy for years now and am happy.

If you do not have a low pressure quick disconnect hose and are using a high pressure hose WITHOUT A FILTER you are asking for problems. It CLEARLY states the required hose to use.

75% of the problems are caused by this issue alone.

Having said that, the next most common issue is getting them to light if they have been disconnected or sat for an extended period of time. Since the hose is low pressure, purging air from the line takes some time. I found turning the tank on and then pressing something into the valve inside the hose to allow the air to escape to be a great way to reduce initial startup.

The remaining issues are caused usually by stupid mistakes or the unit getting tipped over which causes it to turn off because of its safety features.

Some of the early models have issues, but the last several years have been fine provided you read the instructions and FOLLOW them.

Never had a single problem with mine that wasnt my fault in 5 years of use. Buddy threw a shovel full of slush right in it. Cleaned it out and after allowing it to dry a few minutes it started right up.

I have had the flames shoot out of mine and it may have been caused by an overfilled ten pound tank. That tank would not run anything for long before freezing it up. I had it emptied and a new top put on last year and then never used it because I pulled my house with the snowmobile. Hopefully it works this year.

I had another one that shot flames out as well that was brand new. That one was returned for a different new one that works well most of the time except occasionally it makes a very loud high pitched noise. I usually just use the heater/cooker for cooking now and use the big buddy to keep the house warm. 30 below and many miles from the truck I carry both.