• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Irrigation pump problem

Jmeyers

Question

Heading up to the lake this weekend, had some trouble with the irrigation pump not sucking water from the lake. We primed it up and it spits water out when you pump it full of hose water but for some reason it wont build the pressure to pull the water from the lake.

The water does need to be pulled up little hill so I was thinking that was the problem, but the people that had the place before us never had any problems with is so I'm kind of lost on what it could be. Thought I would ask around before we hire someone to come check it out.

any thoughts?

6 answers to this question

There may be is a foot valve (type of backflow preventer/check valve) at the end of inlet/intake line in the lake that is stuck open or dirty/leaking.

This would allow the water to drain back and could cause the pump to lose prime. Similar in symptom to the air leak mentioned above.

If the impeller in the pump is clogged with dirt last year and harden over winter, the pump will not pump. I would take the pump apart and look at the impeller, make sure the vanes are clear, this is on a cent. pump. On a vane pump the vanes maybe stuck and need to be cleaned.