• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pool 2 Catfish Contest Photos/Results/Video

DTro

For a few years now I've wanted to organize a fun contest in which I could invite a bunch of folks I call friends to compete against each other and hopefully in the process do a little good as well for the fishery. Finally the stars aligned this year I got enough support in which I could make it happen.

Yesterday was the 1st (and hopefully annual) Whisker Run Invitational Catfish Contest. The contest consisted of 25 max boats with a small entry fee and scoring system was total of the 2 biggest cats by measuring length+girth. Fish caught were encouraged to be brought in to measure asap and while there would be tagged and aged by the MNDNR for future study and management.

Here is the recap:

Well in my opinion, things went about as well as they could have. A couple of hitches but overall a success!

As I pulled into the parking lot an hour early I couldn't believe how many folks were there already, people were ready to fish. I took some release signatures, handed out rules and greeted some old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Then it was time to line up and launch and stage for the shotgun start. It went pretty smoothly considering the 22 boats that were competing.

94918aba.jpg

33228c83.jpg

The shotgun start was fun with about 75% of the boats heading downstream and the rest heading up. Then Joel and I waited for fish to come in. I knew it would be a little bit of a wait so we tossed out a few lines and caught a few sheepies from shore. Then the first fish came in and it was a dandy channel caught by Team Newt. 30x20 and 13.55lbs

09c533a3.jpg

We got the fish registered and tagged and back into the water in about 4 minutes.

Next up to arrive was Team St Croix Boys. They had 2 10+lb channels to register and a bonus third fish to tag.

7eb7c188.jpg

Then things slowed down a bit, which was fine with me, it's a little more work than you think moving these fish from boat to shore back to tank, tag and then back in. The massive amount of mayflies and mosquitoes didn't help much.

As dusk rolled around I seen a boat coming, so I picked up my binoculars and seen Team Worm Dippers coming in hot, I thought to myself they must have a nice fish....turns out not only was it a nice one, it was the big fish of the contest at 42.75x29.5 and 43lbs.

50fddb96.jpg

As I was carrying that fish back to the measuring board, I hear another boat pulling into shore and it's Team Newt again and they are excited! Out of the livewell comes a fish only 1" shorter than the one I'm holding and 38lbs

f263e020.jpg

From then on, it was a fairly steady stream of fish coming in keeping us busy so that by the time the contest ended, we were quite a bit behind and it was at that time that we really needed to bust silly-me to get everything taken care of in a timely matter and to make sure all fish were healthy.

Team Lutz go Fishing with a beauty Channel

ec38bf63.jpg

1/2 of Team Peebs with a solid Flathead

56d3f53a.jpg

Here's Team Moist Whiskers hoisting their eventual second place catch

e3370697.jpg

Not to be denied though, (and fittingly) Team Newt was not only the first team to register a fish today, but also one of the last and when I seen Cal bring this one up to me, I knew in the back of my head it was a $400 fish! Way to go guys!

a2bf6e2a.jpg

Here are your winners

1st

Team Newt 136.75 pts

840000dc.jpg

2nd Team Moist Whiskers 126.5pts

e0c82f20.jpg

3rd AND BIG FISH Team Worm Dippers 121pts

41857586.jpg

4th Team Phigs 105.75

d645e189.jpg

5th Team St Croix Boys 98.5pts

dd585821.jpg

6th Team Click Click Boom

390530ef.jpg

7th Team Wiggle Wiggle...not only did they take 7th place, but also had some weird wiggle wiggle effect on my picture taking ability.

1d4e9144.jpg

Random Cash Drawing Team Gripper

09356da5.jpg

Congrats to all the winners and I'm happy to report that every fish that was brought in was not only tagged and aged, but also swam away with spunk and vigor. Thanks go out to all of you for taking such good care of them. Future events like this depend on people like you.

Hopefully we can do it again next year! smile

We pulled up to a spot and went to tie off and the trees were full of these wonderful bugs grin Darren You were not kidding about the mayflies.

At first I thought they were those little hellicopter seeds but found out they flew up when the tree was grabbed.

full-15313-21738-imag0229.jpg

full-15313-21739-imag0231.jpg

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Well done Darren smile

Just another in your long list of things you do to share with others Daddio cool

I think you and Eric may need to share GB status around here. laugh

Seriously, I am so amazed by you DTro!!!!