• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seasonal Advice???

chasineyes

Looking for some advice thoughts about a seasonal. We are considering buying one next year. Here is our situation...

2 daughters ages 11 and 7. NOT interested in summer sports. They love swimming, fishing, hunting, etc..

Only want to be 2 hours from Shakopee. We currently own a 12 Foot popup that we would sell this year.

I'm wondering if you really get to use it that much to justify the $1500 or so. I think it would be nice to ditch the Expedition and get a van, and be able to cruise up on a 1/2 tank of gas. My main concern is that Late september till April I'll feel like i"m paying on this thing I can't use. Of course, that's like a snowmobile or boat in MN. Thoughts???

We have a seasonal up in NW Wisconsin on a great fishing lake. We spend just about every weekend there Late April - September. We can use it through the winter if we choose, obviously without water and sewer, but for me, yes, it's worth it. Of course I'm there to fish. The kids, only you can decide if they'd enjoy it enough to use it that often.

I'd suggest you look at some of the locations you're interested in and stay there in your pop-up a few weekends, or many rent small cabins. Ours even has a big 5th wheel they rent by the week or weekend.

It's sure nice to head up there on Friday night and just open the door. No set up or tear down. You can leave the fridge stocked from one week to the next. My boat sits on a lift waiting for me. Can drive up in a smaller car to save gas.

We love it.

Quote:
We can use it through the winter if we choose

I think that might be my concern. Have you guys found you can use your place most of the year? My fear is that come October 1st you can no longer access your camper. And let s face it, that IMHO is the best time to be there!!! cool

I think that might be my concern. Have you guys found you can use your place most of the year? My fear is that come October 1st you can no longer access your camper. And let s face it, that IMHO is the best time to be there!!! cool
Most of them are May 1st - Oct 1st.

By then I'm in the woods hunting and done with fishing until ice and hanging out with the family at the lake! wink

leech is right. MOST close Oct. 1st. Ours does not, check around. I use it as a base for hunting and ice fishing.

We have a few open spots if interested.....just sayin'. wink

leech is right. MOST close Oct. 1st. Ours does not, check around. I use it as a base for hunting and ice fishing.

We have a few open spots if interested.....just sayin'. wink

Don

how do you find the moisture build up in your camper when used in really cold weather? I would be a little worried about build up in the thinner walls from warming and cooling? eek

I bet you would find that once you don't have to "haul around" all the clothes, supplies, etc. that it is very easy to head up with no hassle. We found that when we got our cabin (seasonal tiny place at first, no water, now a year round joint that we use every weekend, year round, almost). Bro in law has a more seasonal place, and he still uses it, but they don't plow, etc. so a bit more effort to get there.

I would suggest finding a place that has stuff to offer the kids outside of lake, etc. Like mini-golf, ice cream joint, small stores, etc. Personally, I don't like that stuff wink but my wife brings the granddaughters, nieces, etc. and the older gals wink and they have a blast.

Good luck, I think you would find you use it often. Check the swimming areas once dog days hit, to make sure the kids will swim in it wink

Another question on seasonals. How do most of he contracts run? Are most 1,2,3 year contracts? My wife and I are also considering this for next year and live in central mn where we can get to areas with many lakes in anywhere from 30 minutes to hour and a half. We like the idea of being able to try one in maybe the DL area one year and then brainerd the next or even the Alex area. We would have our own camper. This maybe too broad of a question. Any help appreciated.

Toba...that mindset has brought us to believe that we should just buy a nice camper and pull it where we want each year. What I mean is I'm not going to buy some monster 35' camper on a current seasonal and not have the guts or ability to move it around to different sights.

I think half the fun is searching for possible spots to stay. This last weekend we took the kids and drove around north long all the way to the emily area looking for spots. Each rv spot offers different things. Right now we are looking to cater to the kids a little bit more than us. Some said they use their camper in the winter. Is the insulation value in most campers strong enough for the camper heater to keep up? Ice fishing trips would be fun.

What are the average prices for buying a seasonal site with a park model home? I've noticed you pay a lot for the spot with the park model but just lease the spot year to year.

I realize that the nicer he spot/view of lake etc.. Are worth extra but what are most places selling for?

What are the average prices for buying a seasonal site with a park model home? I've noticed you pay a lot for the spot with the park model but just lease the spot year to year.

I realize that the nicer he spot/view of lake etc.. Are worth extra but what are most places selling for?

We are over on Edwards and pay are $1,800 now since we just got a bigger Park Model and moved one row closer to the lake. Around Brainard you are going to find between $1,800 up to $3,000 for a seasonal spot over around Gull! Then if you want a dock spot you can add a few hund to that! wink

I guess my question was more what I should be paying for a nice spot lake view row one at a seasonal site with a park model/screened in porch/small storage shed should be??

Yearly fees with boatlift are 3k.

5th crow wing lake

01 Canterbury 12x36 w/loft

I'm looking st buying it move in ready. But I am confused as to what this is really worth.

If I were you I would go on one of the auction sites and look at a bunch of them there to get a better idea. I think you can also do a Blue book cheak just for the camper to get a starting point on that.

Here is just one example I found by doing a Google.

2000 Canterbury Bayview. Double loft, fully furnished, screenroom & patio furniture included, many extras. Golf cart included with full asking price. Great location - MUST SEE!! $54,000 Negotiable.

I used to do this and it is OK if you want to go to the same place all the time as when you are paying for one place you don't tend to go anywhere else. Some of the pluses are you have your own place and just walk in and have a place to cook etc. Some of the drawbacks are lot rent has gotten expensive. When you have your own place you not only have to pay for it you have to maintain it and possibly store it. I got out of it because I wanted to go to different places and you can rent a lot of rooms for the same price or maybe even less and you don't have any maintainence.

For some people who can't maybe afford a cabin and are tired of running around. It's nice to be able to just go up unlock the door use it lock in back up and leave, instead of loading everything back up every time you go home. We love it. I even have a friend who was getting tried of the payments, taxes and up keep of his cabin think about it since they don't use their cabin during the winter anyway! wink

We have a site we own in a coop resort (Timberwoods, in Annandale 25 min drive from Becker)... I wasn't sure about it when we bought it but I will never leave, some people rent the lots from others for 2500-3000 per season. We own our lot and have voting rights about changes in the park, our association due cover the taxes and docks in and out, maintainence, camp hosts etc. Our place is nice because we have a nice mix of retired and families... check into this if it is all families it could be loud, if it is all retired and you have kids you could face upset people that want 24/7 quiet hours... Ask tenants there most love to talk about it.

IMO seasonal is the best for families as kids have others to play with you have NO lawn to mow etc. There are trade offs but I like all my neighbors and the plusses far outweigh the minusses for us. Ona Friday I need to pack a bag and a cooler with food, the rest is there... We drove my corolla to the lake alot... Ours is close enough that if they have an BBall game or Soccer match we run home, if not we lounge on the deck and grill. You do pay all year for seasonal usage boat fish house etc are all the same.

Do those of you with a "seasonal" rent or own the land. I"m thinking about "buying" into a lot. That way I would be able to use it more?? Plus I would have some sort of legal "ownership".

Thoughts///