• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hot Water Heater

My hot water heater at the cabin has luke warm water now, my guess is that the top element is burnt out.

However here is my question. It's either 8/9 years old and it's a seasonal cabin so it is drained for the winter.

Is it more or less likely that it will spring a leak given the way the hot water heater is used.

Looks like a new element is pretty cheap so I'm leaning towards just fixing it. However I know it is getting to that age where it could start leaking as well. I think it's a GE or Rheem water heater.

Do you drain it in the winter? It would seem to me that should cut down on the deterioration. Maybe not give you a double life expectancy but more than 8 or 9 years. I would turn the water off to it when I wasn't there just to be safe.

Yes I drain it every Fall and I have a shut off valve at the pressure tank that I shut off every time I leave.

I'm thinking for the price of the element if I get 2 more years out of it that I am way ahead.

A water heater 8-9 years old is not very old. I think mine is 16 years and still work well. If I was you I would just replace the element. heck it could work fine for another 10 years.......

Fix it. That said, check the voltage,amps when unit is on.

Make sure the thermostats/reset are in good shape, not burnt.

Last but not lest keep a eye out for when water heaters go on sale (chep)

Time will be on your side...