• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first time turkey hunting questions

klee

I've been watching, thinking, and reading posts all about turkey hunting. I want to give it a shot this year. I'm hoping to register for the fall lottery. I have hunted other animals, but turkey seems to be more difficult. I was thinking about a guided hunt too, but it seems to cost too much.

So, where to start as far as location? How do you tell if an area holds turkey? What kind of cover do they live or sleep in? Best time to hunt them? How do you learn to call them in? Do you have a better success with a decoy? Do you hunt private or public? Do public lands get a lot of pressure for turkey hunting? How is the success rate for public lands? Is it archery only or firearem too or depends on where you hunt? I guess these are the questions I have for now, so please throw in anything you would like to advise me about that will help.

Thanks!

Spring and fall hunts are very different. In the spring there's an archery season, otherwise if you choose to pick one of the other 5-7 day season the choice of weapon is yours. Turkeys are also much more callable in the spring a it's their breeding season. As far as public land goes it depends on where you hunt. Some public land that holds turkeys receive very little hunting pressure while others will get hit very hard. Success rates vary great as wellbased on area and time period hunted. Generally success rates in the spring run 30-50% depended on location and season.

Fall turkey hunting is much more like deer hunting in that they are less vocal, respond less to call and it's all about patterning their movements. Turkey tend to flock up buy gender and age come fall.

you will gain a ton of knowledge reading from guys like Borch and Donbo...I take everything I read on here and then go out in the field learn from mistakes and watching how the birds respond. i'm forunate enough to have a bunch of turkeys around my house. This spring since I've haven't been able to hunt, I sit on my deck with my calls, listen to the birds and just try to mimic everything i hear. I've been able to call some pretty nice birds into my yard. practice, practice and more practice. the birds will teach you everything. I'm sure even our veteran turkey hunters on here learn something new every year. Thats why we love it so much, it never gets old. just like everything else- just get out and do it, becareful though its very addicting. grin

Most of my fall hunting is simply by opportunity. I bowhunt a lot and if I hear turkeys fly up at night, I get in dark early the following morning and set up right under, or very near them. It's a very exciting way to hunt, hearing a bunch of birds waking up. If you know a travel route, or where they often roost, it's also productive to set up a blind and wait them out.

They will have prefered roost areas. Just sit on a high spot in the evenings and listen for them to fly up. They make a ton of racket flying into trees. Early morning too, you can hear their tree calls a long ways off, sneak in and blast one!

Fall hunting is an entirely different ballgame from what we've got going on right now. The habitat may be the same, but the tactics rarely are.

I can hear them fly and land in the trees and ground in my area when I hunt deer in november while I'm sitting in the stand in the dark. But the area that I hunt is between two tall hills and the turkeys don't land in the flat area but more on the hills. I know you can't hunt them during this time, but I know they are there. I just don't know what kind of signs to look for to see if its turkey habitat. What time is best to go scout for them in the spring and fall?

What calls would you recommend for a beginner? How did you learn to call? What is the best way to learn how to call? Any learning materials you recomnend I use?

Easiest calls to use are the slate and boxcalls. Although the push pin box is also very easy but many sounds pretty bad. Diaphrams are the most difficult to master for most.

There are several tutorials on you tube to get you started.

Remember coverage is the number one thing in my book that seperates the novice to experienced hunter. Actualy my first year bow hunting and all i can say what a challenge that is. I have 2 weeks to get one I hope to have some luck tommorow as I have a great set up its the pulling back on bow and getting the right shot off stay tuned.

Borch is right, most make good stuff. Sadly though most also make "cheaper" calls. These rarely make into the woods in my vest. I have a couple custom calls that I use most often. Spend a bit more now and plan on a lifetime of use from them.

Thanks for all the great information. I just found out that mn dnr has a turkey hunt mentor program for women. It is sad that I found out too late. I will be preparing for next year then and hopefully I will get to experience this new addiction.

Thanks for all the great information. I just found out that mn dnr has a turkey hunt mentor program for women. It is sad that I found out too late. I will be preparing for next year then and hopefully I will get to experience this new addiction.

I will be mentoring one of those women tomorrow. You're right, it's a great program.

I think they are great programs. I have participated in the grouse, pheasant, and woodcock mentor programs. I didn't know that they did deer and turkey until today.

DonBo, good luck tomorrow. Hopefully I will get to experience it next year.