• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter outdoors fish house-- wind and temperature constraints

gowiththefloe

Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a fish house to convert into an ROV operation tent in Antarctica. My concern is how high of windspeeds and low of temperatures these things can actually stand. I was hoping some of you could share your experiences. The two models I was looking at are

#2856 OTTER PRO XT900 XTREME THERMAL 900 DENIER RESORT PACKAGE

or

#2046 OTTER WILD T600 THERMAL-TOP LODGE PACKAGE

How windy and cold can it get for these tents? Looking forward to your thoughts.

Well, before deciding on a portable, you might want to examine what you are looking for. The 1st option you listed has insulation on the entire shell, whereas the second is only on the top. If wind is a concern (which I assume it is), you will want the entire shell to have insulation. I hope this linking to manufacturers isn't against forum policy but this research is a life or death deal for this guy.

That being said, there are a few other houses that will have entirely insulated shells. I have no experience with any of the insulated houses personally, but my Father In Law picked up a Frabill insulated house last spring, and I own an Otter without an insulated shell. The rigidity of the house's frame will be almost as important as the insulation concerning strong winds, and I do like my Otter for that.

Wow Antartica you say . Thats extreme I must say .I know and use Otter products and they are quality and have worked well for me and everything I have thrown at them but I'm not making any claims about Antartica . That's a rough place even if you were in a solid concrete building . Don't even think about a buddy heater because they are way too fickle and temperamental to stake your life on in Antartica .

TD

If you can mix and match parts this is what I would do. Otter sled (best out there), otter poles (best, most durable, easiest sliding) and a canvas craft shell (best insulation nearly double what Otter has).

You can buy complete houses from Canvas craft, just google it and you will find their site. The problem is their poles are not as durable as the otter ones IMO. If you talk to these companies they may be willing to "donate" this for your endeavor in exchange for some publicity. Could be a win win situation for all.

I agree with the insulated CanvasCraft. I did some research when I was in the market for an insulated portable and, from what I saw, they had the best insulation, so that's what I bought. I will also agree about potentially a problem in high winds. I would definately be talking to CanvasCraft (or whoever you buy from)about custom making some x-bracing for all 4 walls.