• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Large Rock pick-up

Cecil

Hey all. Had a large rock 3'x3'+ that rolled off my retaining wall. Not enough room to get a cat in there, wondering if you all have any ideas for picking it up and getting it back on the wall?

So far I have looked at renting like a Toro Dingo

Hey all. Had a large rock 3'x3'+ that rolled off my retaining wall. Not enough room to get a cat in there, wondering if you all have any ideas for picking it up and getting it back on the wall?

So far I have looked at renting like a Toro Dingo

Either that or a mini excavator / mini skidsteer.

I don't know if the Dingo would have enough lifting capacity.

That much weight, I would wait a week or two as the ground is very soft right now, unless you're on sandy soil.

You will also want to figure out why the rock rolled, unless someone bumped it with a car, lawn mower, etc.

I would suggest a new lower boulder wall. wink

I am guessing a Dingo will probably not lift it. I have used them on quite a few projects and that is a pretty large boulder. I have worked on boulder walls from the top side with a smaller excavator and I think that may be your best bet. You might want to try to find someone with experience on the machine so you don't end up with a excavator below the wall as well. It is going to be tricky to get the boulder to stay put once you lift it back up. Be careful. A pic of the location would be helpful.

There isnt much room between the side of the house where the rock is and the neighbors house is. Thinking I may have to call someone to come out and look at it.

Good call. Find someone with a boom truck with a boulder claw thing. Probably cheaper to pay someone to do it right rather than making the problem worse.

Got the verdict yesteday. No chance that thing gets moved by anything like a dingo. Guy who came out also wondered how and why it fell. Its next to a downspout, but that goes into the ground, so don't think it caused it. Now I get to go ask the neighbor if he minds if his yard gets a little damaged smile