• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In central Minnesota, anyway, the cattails are reaching the perfect length to harvest their shoots. When they reach about 2 ft or so, just go out and slowly pull as you would on and seeded piece of grass. What comes out is something similar to a large green onion or small leek. The flavor is cucumbery/ celeryry...kind of. The best part raw is the white tip. You can also use some of the green portion for in stir fry similar green onion. The shoots are very low in saturated fat. It is also a good source of Iron and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese.Ok, so maybe the nettle was a little extreme, but you would have be a true Sally not to try this smile ......got to go to work and will post pics of some foodstuff later.

full-27018-20348-2012_05_08_10_34_47_627

full-27018-20349-2012_05_08_10_41_51_537

I would be tempted to eat those little morsels...Issue is that in MN at least I think it's illegal to pick cattails.....well basically anything as far as shoreland/wetland vegetation without a permit.

Issue is that in MN at least I think it's illegal to pick cattails.....well basically anything as far as shoreland/wetland vegetation without a permit.

Ummm... Ahhh .... they were from Iowa.... grin Very good to know! Will look into that....

Looks like I am not going to the pokey......appears that small ponds are good to go. Probably would not be grabbing them from possible chemical laden roadside ditches though. Think the intent of the law is set up to curb large scale clearing for beaches, docks, ect...not for somebody picking a dozen for a snack....regardless....from the DNR HSOforum.

"Under Minnesota law, aquatic plants growing in public waters are the property of the state. Because of their value to the lake ecosystem, they may not be destroyed or transplanted unless authorized by the Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources as stipulated in the Aquatic Plant Management Rules. (A "public water" is generally any body of water 2.5 acres or larger within an incorporated city limit, or 10 acres or larger in rural areas. "

Looks awesome. I had some this weekend and loved them. I just threw them on the grill and charred the outside. Then I peeled off the outer layer and ate the hearts. What great flavor. I had them with fresh ramps and panfish.

The shoots will be good for well over a month or maybe even two, granted they are more tender early on..... you just have to peel away more stalk, but by later summer probably not worth it anymore The next, and even better edible part, will be the flower spikes. Will post as they start to develop.

I was going to say....you certainly didn't seem that interested in keeping any of the walleyes we caught. And you didn't mention your culinary prowess....maybe I should've demanded a meal in exchange for all that gas I used up driving that third of a mile out to the spots. smile