• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Bite

wastewaterguru

I am always amazed at how nature has evolved. Back in late March I caught my first flathead of the season at a water temperature of 61 degrees. Then nothing as the water cooled off for most of April to the mid 50's. It took 4 weeks for the water temperature to get back to 60....and we caught 2 flats and 2 thirty inch walleyes on live bait last night.

I guess the lesson learned is that it really doesn't matter what the winter was like or how early the spring was. It's all about the water temperature. Unfortunately the weather this week will drop us back under 60 after today. There may still be an active fish or two....but watch for the action to really get going above that magical 60 degree water temp.

It's like clock work- every time. 3 years ago we had 14 flats in the boat in a three day stretch 2 weeks before opener when the water hit 60 just those days. Then nothing until after opener when it warmed back up. You'd think there be a LITTLE more action in the few degrees below 58-59 but in my experience it's pretty darn tough. IDK

It's like clock work- every time. 3 years ago we had 14 flats in the boat in a three day stretch 2 weeks before opener when the water hit 60 just those days. Then nothing until after opener when it warmed back up. You'd think there be a LITTLE more action in the few degrees below 58-59 but in my experience it's pretty darn tough. IDK

My first two flats this year the temp was below 59.

Well no doubt there are exceptions to everything. The first one in my boat this year was in March around 50 deg and it inhaled a jig/plastic. Of course we see that happen on the Miss too it's a far cry from 60.8 degrees last night and had 4 runs on bullies- one flat to the boat, one lost near the boat, a swing and a miss, then a pike spilled the guts on one on the way back to the boat. lol

You Mankato guys got the early bite going on every year it seems though, definately something about that down there. ;-)

That's impossible Gordie. Water can't flow north man! :-) Well then the flats should be biting on the Red River!! Lets go :-)

considering how big the channel cats are on the red I could only imagine how big a flathead would be up there if they were in that river.