• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone ever caught a walleye on...

During the high water last year we caught a few on poppers and sammies fishing the rock piles for smallmouth out on the croix. I also got one a few years ago on a bandit -1 worked right on the surface over a sand flat on the mississippi, but this was also during the spring when alot of fish were being caught shallow.

Funny you should ask this as Chase Parsons won a tournement pulling spinner baits/buzzbaITs over the treetops with leadcore. Bass lures aren't always for bass. I know of a ton of bass anglers that do well for walleyes when fishing bass along the weed edges. If the pattern works then use it! A bait isn't always put on the market to get bit by the fish it was made for. I have learned over the years there are"bass" baits that consistently take walleyes and vice versa. I think it comes down to knowing the water you fish and giving the fish presentations that they want to bite.

Tunrevir~

Thanks for replying, hopefully more people will share as well.

The reason I ask is, while a buddy and I were fishing the Mississippi near Winona, I was throwing a buzzbait and had a large fish surface twice but never managed to hook up. He pulled in a smaller 'eye only a few minutes before on a spinner and it had me thinking. Guess i'll just have to get back out there and catch it!

Last year memorial day weekend I was pitching cranks, I know not a top-water buzzbait like you asked, but they were 2-4' divers. A guy buzzed by me trolling 3+ in 30 FOW and asked how the bass fishing was going, but you know what, there really aren't that many bass in this lake. Told him I hadn't caught a single bass and fishing stunk (wink wink)!

The only walleye I’ve ever caught in MN was on a buzzbait last year on the Mississippi upstream of Elk River. It was towards evening and I was casting towards shore for smallies tucked into the bank. He didn’t hit it very hard, but I was really surprised when I saw it wasn’t a bass!

I've caught a few on poppers in the Mississippi while fishing for bass. It doesn't happen all that often, but it happens more often than you'd think.

Never caught one on a buzzbait, but that's probably because I rarely ever throw them.