• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Pontoons

PurpleFloyd

I know they are not the fastest boats for getting from place to place but I am looking at buying a fishing pontoon this year or next.

I had a pontoon boat 7 or so years ago and I liked it for taking the family and the dog out on the lake but that boat was like a barge at 24 feet long and as an early 80's model the console was in the back and it was hard to see the area in front of the boat.

So I am looking to get something smaller in the 18 foot long range with the pedestals in all 4 corners. Does anyone have something like this that they can share their experience with me? I am wondering if they are harder to steer and keep going straight when they get shorter or if there are any other things I should consider. Usually they are rigged with a 25 horse motor but I am looking to put a 60 on there for better performance.

Look into a Premier pontoon, they make them setup for fishing with a livewell, rod racks, trolling motor deckplate mount and hardware so the trolling motor is ready to plug in, you can get them with a cooler seat, a fridge, a toilet, and even a sink. The floor has a washable weather resistant surface that you can easily spray off with a hose to remove dirt and grime from a days fishing. My parents have one but it isn't set up with pedestals but has flexsteel recliner seats and a large booth seat with a table. I would think you could have a stripped down version built to the specs you desire depending on what you want to spend. My parents has a 110 e-tec on it and can easily pull a couple skiers. Premier makes the tri-toon models which plane faster and handle better in rough water.

Tunrevir~

I'm actually beginning a search for used pontoons for the same reason. One thing I'm curious about is the trailer style (if it's included).

Bunks or the crank up style? Which is better and why?

I'm thinking the crank up style since they might allow launching at shallower accesses. I would actually be trailering the thing a good amount. Are bunks more sturdy for travelling?

Thanks.

Bunks are way sturdier for traveling but like you said the crack up let yuo in a little easeir, i think the bunks cost more as well. If you are not going to be hauling all over the state the crank up would be fine otherwise get a bunk

I second (or third) the idea for a bunk trailer, much more stable when trailering longer distances.

As for a pontoon, I have a 20ft Sweetwater(made by Godfrey), It is equipped with a 90hp Yamaha. It has 4 swivel seats, livewell as well as couch with table and changing area. It works very well for fishing or for playing. I also rigged mine with a ski tow bar and electric anchor, which is awesome.

I'll clarify "trailering a good amount".

I'll probably buy one used around the metro area and haul it to Ely where it will likely stay. Up there I would be trailering and launching every weekend I use it with the probability that I'll be hitting several different lakes in the area over the season.

So ease of loading should be added as a consideration. I've only driven pontoons already in the water so I don't know how much of a pain loading/launching them is.

Thanks.

Definitely a bunk trailer for stability. If you're worried about shallow water, get 10 inch tires and wheels instead of 13's. You'll hear a lot of cons on them, but lots of 'tooners I know run them and don't have any issues.

Putting the pontoon on the trailer is really not too bad. It's best if the trailer has full length guides that go on the inside of each pontoon. They will definitely help you to center up. Pulling a pontoon on the other hand is like pulling a large sail down the road, but you get used to it. I trailer my 22 foot pontoon from St. Louis, MO. to Lake Vermilion at least once a year, and sometimes twice! It's about a 1600 mile round trip. My trailer has 13 inch wheels and tires. I have never really had any shallow water launch issues.

I won a pontoon at the Governor's fishing opener 3 years ago. Crstliner 23 foot with a 60 Merc 4 stroke. It is set up for fishing with a platform on the front, two seats in the back, livewell, rod locker and bench seats. I added an electric anchor winch since there was no way to reasonable drop and anchor if alone. It came with a bunk trailer with four tires and electronic brakes. Booked at $32,500 but I'm sure that was the high end. I like it but I keep it on a lake and only trailer it taking it to storage and back.

This thing eats a lot of gas when trailering. I don't think I'd want to take it very far at all. Buy one near Ely if that's where it's going to be cause you'll be burning up $200+ in gas to get it there.

One benefit of a bunk trailer is that no one can borrow it. Neighbor across the street has crank up and it is constantly being borrowed.

Not to hijack the thread, but Tom, how do you like the 60 Merc Bigfoot? I have one on order with a 22' fishing pontoon. Have heard nothing but good about that motor.

The toon I am getting has the two seats up front, two in back, with livewell in back. I am getting full vinyl flooring, as I am huge vinyl fan (our current old pontoon has vinyl and would get nothing else going forward).

Mine will usually only be used on one lake. I am not getting trailer, as I can borrow one from several friends. So I am one of those "borrowing" guys wink A case of beer a year, or some cash to help pay for tires, etc. works well. For most of these trailers, they are only used to put in and take out even for the owner, and up north they just sit in fields or sheds in the summer anyway smile

I've had a 20 ft. Crestliner for 15 years and trailered it from Remer up to Rainy a half dozen times and to the Ely Babbitt Area every year. Towing it with a Chevy Avalanche 5.3. Mileage with tow mode drops to about 11.

It has a scissor style trailer and I prefer it for two key reasons.

The bunk style has the Pontoon about 3 feet higher off the ground. Not good for wind or stability.

Secondly, I'm able to load with the scissor style alone and position the boat from the front easily sliding for alignment. I can't imagine the bunks being as easy but then I've never used them.

I debated the scissor vs bunk trailer question 2 years ago for my 25' Premier. I when with scissor for one major reason .... shallow launches. If you think you will need to launch on shallower launches, definitely go the scissor route. Loading/unloading a pontoon on a launch that is not sufficiently deep enough is a b**ch based on my experience. Also, storing a bunk trailer requires much more space (they are HUGE).

If you go the scissor route, I would seriously consider Trophy trailers (built in WI). They are built like a tank, and are very stable as far for this style.

Trailered from the Cities to Brainard & Hayward, not bad, just need to be careful on turns and on/off ramps. It was a bonus when I got detoured onto a narrow rurual road, outside pontoon could actually hang over the gravel sholder, this would have been problem for the width of a full size bunk trailer.

Thanks for the experienced replies. I haven't been able to pin down a pontoon yet. I called on a few, with and without trailers. I must be searching out the good deals because they're always gone before I can get a look at em! crazy

With one I responded to an hour old posting at 10:30 on a week night and didn't get a chance at it. SOLD.

If I wind up with a 'toon without a trailer, I'll give the place is Sconny a look.

Loading a pontoon on a bunk trailer is NOT hard if everything is adjusted properly. My trailer has "V" shaped bunks and guide ons in between the toons. You can't hardly miss, I have loaded and unloaded by myself many times.

There are definite advantages and disadvantages to both type of trailers. Shallow water loading with scissor type is nice, but the stability of a bunk is hard to beat.

Good luck in your search! Been there, done that!

...There are definite advantages and disadvantages to both type of trailers. Shallow water loading with scissor type is nice, but the stability of a bunk is hard to beat.

Good luck in your search! Been there, done that!

That is why I insure mine for full replacement value. Cost more money, but nice to have the peace of mind in case something happens.

Vermilionfox and BoxMN, I agree: bunks with 10 inch tires and vinyl flooring. We went over to Hallberg's today and looked at probably every 'toon on the floor both new and used along with their new trailers.

We took numbers on a couple units but the best part is we were able to really hone in what we want in a pontoon. Lots of good info came from those folks.