• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New editing software?

I just got a new computer, and I need to either upgrade my Photoshop elements, or try another program. I never really used my elements 7 up to it's full potential, mostly because the methods of layering didn't make sense to me.

My niece likes Adobe Lightroom, but I would like to hear some of your opinions.

I would like the program to be able to edit my RAW photos, as well as be able to correct tones with out looking cheesy. I am looking for something that doesn't take a dozen mouse clicks to get one pimple erased.

Let me know what you think!

Check out Corel Paintshop Pro X4 ultimate. It is relatively inexpensive and has lots of tools similar to photo shop.

It has a one stop photo fix that you can adjust color, overall brightness, light and dark tones in one step. Layera are pretty easy to understand.

I've had Lightroom 3 for just over a month now and have really been impressed with it's capabilities as both a management and an editing program. It does the basic quick and easy adjustments I want most of the time and yet seems to have a lot of options if you really want to put some time into it. Although you probably know the general idea of the programs capabilities, you ca do a search for adobe tv lightroom 3 videos and you will see some of the features and specifics of how to use the program to its fullest. Every time I watch one of the videos, I pick up new things to try.

This being said, I do plan to also pick up Elements to do things lightroom can't do.

By the way, Adobe has a program where you can get an educational discount on the lightroom program. Regularly around 200 something, you can pay about $80 if you or someone in your household are a teacher or student of any kind. Limit of one per year under this program.

I also think I remember seeing that elements is on sale until early March.

ccarlson

I read a bunch of reviews, and ordered the Elements 10, which is on sale as mentioned above. I may look into the student deal for lightroom 3 as well. From the sounds of it, Lightroom is a good complement to Elements, since it doesn't have some of the editing capabilities.

Thanks for the tip on the sale, guys! smile

I remember seeing somewhere that the elements 10 price was a deal only through early March or something. I could be wrong on that but I didn't want to miss the price so I also went ahead and ordered it last night. If you take advantage of the educator pricing on Lightroom and the sale on Elements, you'll have $130 into about $380 worth of software and from what I understand they do compliment each other nicely.

ccarlson

I am totally contrary to everyone, Photoshop for me only. Tried all the rest, really detested Lightroom but I do know that I am nearly alone with that opinion. Elements should treat you right for a long time. Play with Lightroom if you like, Adobe always offers a 30 day trial.

I hope I was being smart when I ordered a Photoshop Elements book to go along with the software. I ordered "The Photoshop Elements 10 Book for Digital Photographers" by Mark Kloskowski and Scott Kelby. Hopefully it will have the kind of info I was looking for as far as how to use the program to the fullest extent.

Dbl,

just curious if it was the PP capabilities or the way the program works (user friendliness I guess) that you don't like about lightroom.

Like you said, most revues on it are good and I've liked the results so far but they sure could have done some things a little differently to make it more user friendly. I assumed that was mostly my lack of experience. I have the basics down now but it will take me time to experiment with some of the more advanced features.

Certainly looking forward to trying elements 10 in addition.

ccarlson

Carolyn, Elements will work great for you. The books by Kelby are the best out there bar none! Easy to follow along with.

ccarlson,

I have been using Photoshop for so long I just had a tough time getting the program to work the way I wanted it to. The other huge turn off for me was the program trying to catalog for me. I have my own system and don't want to have another program mess it up! Often times Lightroom leads you to Photoshop, I just skip the additional step and go right to Photoshop.

Different strokes! Keep in mind it took about a year of almost constant use before I felt really comfortable with Photoshop, Lightroom is more intuitive when you are starting out I understand.

You are right, anything helps but keep in mind whether you have the C symbol or not you are still have copyright protection, especially when you register your images.

It used to be a copyright notice was required as a condition of copyright protection, it is now optional. It is the responsibility of the copyright owner to use it (mainly as a public notice of your copyright for those that don't understand copyright law) but you do not have to register with the Copyright Office.

You are afforded more legal ground if you register your images but most folks likely don't want to spend the time and money to do so.

The times they are a changing!

Picasa is free but it will download every picture you ever took automatically. Kind of takes over your system. I deleted it.

Picasa doesn't download anything, it scans your hard drive and indexes pictures on your system. You can set it to scan whatever directories or drives you want or don't want, or not have it scan at all. Click Tools - Folder Manager and select what you want it to scan or remove from Picasa, pretty simple.