• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobiling out West

MN Mike

Another great trip, everyone came back in one piece and so did the sleds. We managed to put on 200 miles this year, that's pretty good for us, Thursday we rode to Top of the World in Wy. because it was a sun shiny day and that ride accounted for a lot of our mileage. 7 of us rode the last couple days around Cooke City, it was better than I thought it was going to be after talking to the folks in town, the town was LOADED with sleds the whole time we were there but it sounds like they've been coming from far and wide this year because Cooke has the best snow.

I didn't get a lot of pics but here are a few.

We had that hopped up sled with us, that's the Black XF1100 High Country Turbo with the ' dial ' I was talking about in the YIKES thread, one thing is for sure, those 4 strokes are a fun ride, power is awesome and deceiving at the same time because they are soooo smooth.

full-623-17958-img_0235.jpg

full-623-17959-img_0237.jpg

full-623-17960-img_0238.jpg

full-623-17961-img_0241.jpg

Behind these guys is a 100 foot drop into a creek bed, it's a pretty steep climb out and the guy running the XF got a little out of whack near the top and headed for the tree well.

full-623-17962-img_0243.jpg

full-623-17963-img_0246.jpg

full-623-17964-img_0248.jpg

The guys I ride with give me some good pics opportunities laugh

I don't know what I was thinking but we did have one incident that took us a good hour to hour and a half to get out of. There was a climb up a hill,the guy with the white sled decided to go first, he made it over half way, then all we heard was tree branches breaking........... not good. Then one of the guys with the Ski Doo went up and he got stuck, then the guy with the green M8 went up and he got stuck, this was all in the trees so we couldn't see anything. The guy on the white sled radioed back saying to not come up, he didn't key the mic in time and Kenny ( another Ski Doo guys ) thought he said come up. They waved him off when he got close and down he came thru the trees with his new 2012 Summit 800, hit a tree hard and wedged it in with another tree. I went up to help him get it out, he bent the upper a arm and bent his shock shaft slightly but he was HAPPY to be alive, he thought he was a goner, it was steep where this happened and I don't know why I didn't get a picture but at least we can laugh about it now.

Mike

Looks like you guys had fun and the conditions were good! There always seems to be one of those situations each trip that take a bit of effort to get out of.

You heard any reports for any other areas or is Cooke one of the better at the moment? My FIL just asked if I wanted to head out in the middle of March but don't think mama is going to agree to that with her expecting any time around then. They have not yet decided on a location, but Rabbit Ears and the snowies were mentioned. Sounds like Steamboat area got dumped on recently. I will have to pass on your report to him. I'm just hoping for a good dump next week so I can get out and ride in MN.

I talked to Dave at North Park Inn and Suites in Walden a few weeks ago, at that time he said there was about 6 feet on the measuring stick on the radio tower at Buffalo Pass. Early this week, that area got hit, unconfirmed reports were 40 - 48 inches, if that's true a person should see some pretty sweet pics on the snowmobile forums at the end of this weekend.

Dave has a lot of riders stay at his motel, so he gets a lot of current reports, he likes to talk but I usually find him to be a straight shooter. Colorado like many other western states had been hurting for snow, that's how we ended up with 3 riders from Colorado with us last week in Cooke. They all ride ski doos and their dealer had already replaced 20 bulk heads this year alone.

Cooke picked up a big chunk of snow this week as was evident by the avalanche they had Wed. ON THE TRAIL to Daisy pass, buried 4 and killed one, it just floors me that it happened there, I've been up and down that trail ( past that exact spot ) dozens and dozens of times, never thought of that area being a run out area for avalanches. The guy on the white sled above set off a small slide at Top of the World last Thurs. it was only a few inches deep but it was a wakeup call.

The guys are heading back out next week to Cooke, I won't be going because of a fishing trip the week after to Ontario. Lots of snow in the forecast next week for Cooke, I wouldn't doubt they will pass 100 inches on the Snotel site. Plans are to head back out in late March / Early April again.

March / April is one of my favorite times to go to Cooke, later the better, crowds drop off, weather moderates, snow falls can be big. If a person can watch the forecast and leave at the drop of the hat, that's the best.

Lots of people get spooked by Cooke but there are tons of areas to ride without getting into avy trouble.

Mike

You should be fine bringing a 136 out there for your first time, especially the later into the season you go. If you do go somewhere and get a big snowfall you can always rent but I think you'll have a blast with the 700.

My first 3 years in Cooke were on 121 and 136 inch tracks, which probably kept us out of more trouble than I could imagine, if you get hero snow, look out, you'll go places you shouldn't be with any sled.

Mike

Hemi,

I see Dave posted up some pics, looks like there's just over 8 feet at the tower at Buffalo Pass but it could be totally different over at Rabbit Ears. It didn't look like overly powdery in his pics but it does look like they have some good snow, this storm coming in mid-week for us is coming right from Colorado, that should change things.

In the pic below, the far mtn's covered in snow are what separates the Walden area from Fort Collins, so this picture is taken looking back east, Cameron Pass is in there somewhere, pretty rugged stuff.

Mike

full-623-18053-buffpass.jpg

WELL!!! Lookie there, the lost is found! Where you been Mitch? I know you weren't buried under a SNOWBANK since we DIDN'T HAVE ANY THIS YEAR!!! grin Maybe it took this long to figure out how to turn that MacBook on again whistlelaugh

Did you make it out west? Only have 1 trip under the belt this year and it's not looking good for a second trip, only weekends I see open right now would be mid April and we do a little farming on the side so this early spring might have something to say about that.

Mike

After this depressing winter here in southern mn we are leaving for the southern Bighorns next wed morning still 3-5 feet of snow with alittle more forcast this weekend through wed for out there , It will be typical spring riding hard in morning till it warms up then nice suntan weather great riding, long days, even though conditons wont be great it will be snow under my skis, which hasnt been much this year Sounds like temps are going to cool down out west next week, and prolong there riding season, We have been going to the same place for almost 20 years always the last 2 weeks in march and seen just about every type of weather change possible . blizzards, rain ,snow, 50 degree temps, you gotta love the mountains.

Our crew took off yesterday morning for Colorado (while I was grilling in shorts in my back yard). They may do some jumping around from place to place depending on conditions. I think they were heading to the Steamboat area or RE first.

Mike, I have been out west once and it was insane!! The assault (which is now listed for sale) was ripping!!! By brother in law is heading to cooke friday, should be a good time.

That was/is the only trip I have time for. I was appointed a new position at work and things are crazy busy!!! Which is a good thing since I'm in sales and thats how I make a living. My wife and I were also blessed with our first child this winter, a little boy... Eli! With having him and being so busy at work it's hard to leave and go out west.

My wife and I were also blessed with our first child this winter, a little boy... Eli! With having him and being so busy at work it's hard to leave and go out west.

Congrats!!

We are expecting a little boy any day now! Been working on getting the daughter riding the 6v 4 wheeler....which has since been upgraded to a 12v! smile

Congrats on the new addition Mitch!! sounds like you are busy indeed, good to hear you got to ride a little bit anyway.

Good luck to you folks too Hemi, hope all goes well!

Mike

Thanks Mike!! Did you get a chance to ride the White Turbo that is pictured above?? I like the look of them, but I also like how Polaris added the belt drive to there 2013 line up.

Yes I did, we were at Top of the World Wyoming and I rode it for about an hour. It's a climbing machine I'll say that, power is AWESOME but it's definitely heavy and it wouldn't be a sled for me but non the less it was fun to ride. We also had a XF High Country ( 141 x 2.25 ) with a 4 stroke turbo and that one has a Turbo Dynamics turbo kit on it, max horsepower with that machine was 295 HP the way he had it setup, he had to replace the head bolts in that machine just to make sure it stayed together when the boost was on........ crazy!! Rode that one too for a while but I'm still not liking the weight of the 4 stroke, they are soooo smooth though.

That new ProClimb chassis is so much more nimble than the previous M's, teamed with the power of that 800 2 stroke, it's a nice combo.

Mike

My FIL just asked if I wanted to head out in the middle of March but don't think mama is going to agree to that with her expecting any time around then.

Well, it turns out the wife was right for me to not go. Our son came three weeks early again (born Sunday)....FIL was just heading home now but I have not been able to get a report from him yet. Momma and baby around doing great...

Congratulations on the new arrival Hemi! Good to hear all went well for Mom and Child.

I see there were some winter storm warnings in Colorado a few days ago, hopefully they were in the right spot!!

A couple of the guys called about heading to Cooke 1 last time, so I had to check the Snotel site at Fisher Creek...... I shouldn't have done that! It's at it's highest reading this year! 106 inches! They want to head out in a couple weeks if it holds........ I'm feeling the pressure and I don't know if I can take it laugh

Mike