• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish on the fly

itchmesir

So i was wondering how many of you out there have targeted cats on the fly? Have not had the luck of tangling with one on a fly rod yet.. but hoping to change things.. stocking reports show of a couple streams in the area that were stocked with channels.. and plan on adding it to my list.. wondering what patterns would work best? are they eating bait fish/trout or are they also eating big chunky pinkie size stones? leeches?

you could always tie up a cut bait pattern grin

Maybe. Add a bit of sent to it?

gringringrin. Now thats a good one. Seriously though, I have seen people targeting them on our local catfish pond wink. They are using insect patterns, Durring the summer months its not uncommon to see cats up feeding on bugs in the shallows.

As far as patterns do not think it would matter that much, they are not the most particular connoissuer; caught many flipping/pitching light set ups on the edges of the slop/structure in "RFM's pond", as he mentioned when the temps got into mid 70's and above. I used whatever i had, be it plastics, minnows, leeches. The strike zone was just just below the surface about 6 inches, almost immediately after the plop. It was just a hoot.....topwater catfish!

I'll be trying to use a "sculpin helmet" to tie some crayfish, baby bullhead/willowcat, and other bottom-dweller patterns.

I've ignored bottom-dweller fly patterns for two years, I'm fixing that this open water season.

If there's anything I'd want to try first for getting a kitty on the fly, it'd be a sculpin, bullhead, or crayfish pattern that I'd go to first.

Leeches would be second.

mainbutter I would really like to see that bullhead pattern when you are done with it.

I think it would be really great if you could hook up with a flathead with one. and thats a fight I would love to see. I also was talking with a friend that we should try flats by cane pole. Just looking for the battle.

Have fun guys

Well I'm still pondering it at the moment and haven't even begun to tie one yet. I've got a couple of bullheads in an aquarium I keep staring at while I browse what are mostly sculpin patterns. Currently I'm trying to keep the color scheme natural, dark browns and blacks.

I have seen a number of cats caught on caddis flies and midge flies... but it has to be the right water where they do it.. Kinda nuts seeing a pack of cats meandering along the surface and rising This usually coicided with midge hatches in warm water...but pretty sure they were eating algea on the surface too haha. Oh, and they spook pretty easy too.

got them .on streamers by accident too, but it is pretty difficult to target them that way in my experience

I've targeted cats using a fly rod down river from "RFM's pond". They are a blast on a fly rod. I've caught them two different ways. First was fishing drop offs in the spring time using a weighted line and dark colored wooly buggers and nymphs. The other way was like Pushbutton decribed, working the shorelines near current in the summertime. Again with wooly buggers and larger flies. There were times when smacking the fly down on the surface would trigger a strike.