• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Bog?

captainshane

This weekend Hwood and I are heading to the bog. Neither one of us have been there so I am wondering were we need to go. I understand the bog is made up of both private and public land. Our #1 target is the Great Grey (will be the 1st time seeing a GGO) along with a couple others. So if anyone can steer us in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks,

Shane

I haven't been there as much this season, and have only seen one GGO. Low snow cover I think has something to do with it, and the owl's having better hunting than last year and consequently, aren't out during the daytime as much. The maps indicate where the best chances are to see GGO's and they are correct. And extra one or two shows up along HWY 7 where you might not expect them. Watch the highline poles. Good luck!

The only one that I spotted this year was along Hwy 7 about a mile north of Sax Rd. The latest report sound's like like County rd. 133 going into Meadowland's but that was a few weeks ago. Keep your eyes peeled and look for odd shapes in the trees. You just never know were they will show up.

My advice would be to look for owls in the early morning and evening. During the day you could shoot at the Admiral rd or Akrola feeder and get boreal chickadees. The Blue Spruce feeder has evening grosebeaks, pine grosebeaks, redpolls etc, that would be another good place to visit. Don't stop anywhere near the house that says "Trespassers will be violated retired marine sniper" on Stickney Rd.