• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN official unofficial state record C&R Flathead

DTro

Well, here’s the deal. As I talk to a lot of people and read things from year to year, we are usually in unanimous agreement that it would be nice to have a record for Catch and Release. Unfortunately, it will probably never happen as an official sanctioned thing through the MNDNR in my lifetime, (heck it takes almost ten years to revise the length of bait we can use smirk ), so I thought I would take the initiative to get the ball rolling.

I figured why not go ahead and start an Official Unofficial record? It really has nothing to do with the King of the Cats contest, I’m just using that site as an avenue to promote it and also utilize it for submissions.

Like I said on the page there. I have no doubt there have been other fish caught in the past 30 years that have been bigger than Gordie’s fish, but (1) we have to have some accountability and (2) we need a baseline to start somewhere.

So there ya have it. If anyone wants to knock that fish off, go catch a bigger one and submit an entry with some video or picture proof clearly showing Length and Girth. Also, I’m well aware that even that sort of proof is not 100% reliable, so any entry I receive will be scrutinized with any means available to me (digital analyzing software, witness accounts, etc) before declaring that fish the new C&R record.

People submitting pictures/videos of big fish to share, providing documentation of the biggest kitties caught and released in MN?

Sounds like an awesome idea to me!

Whether or not one fish is slightly bigger than another isn't as meaningful as just the attempt to better document our catch-of-a-lifetime fish.

I like what Dtro said, let's get out there and try to break it!

i like the idea dtro! here's another one for you & the other mods i thought of. whats the odds we could start a new forum on hso titled "hso record fish" or something. every common species has their own thread & it can be updated when another member breaks the record? certain rules would have to be established but i think with the caliber of fishermen on the site we could have some real impressive record boards!

I'll keep that in mind Jeff. smile

Here's something to think about and I totally forgot about it until I was recently reminded.

PIERRE, S.D-A Tabor man has a whopper of a fish tale to tell. Unlike most fish tales, he also has a new state record as proof.

Davin Holland was using the largest piece of cutbait he had when he caught the new state record flathead catfish on June 18th in the James River. The fish, was 63.5 pounds, was 47 inches long and had a girth of 30 inches.

I just don't quite understand this one? I've personally measured nearly 10 fish with dimensions about the same or larger than that and none have ever come close to breaking 60. 2" of girth makes a HUGE difference, and I could only get about 57lbs out of a 48x32.

It baffles me.