• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

recoil comparision???

Right now I have a ruger m77 in 300 win mag and I like the round but do not care for the rifle. I got a tikka t3 lite 223 a while back and LOVE the t3! Thinking about getting a tikka to replace the ruger but am worried if I get it in a 300 it will kick like a mule. even with the heavy ruger I cut my self off after about 10 shots at the range so I don't pick up any bad habits (flinch). I am also a fan of the 7mm and was wondering what a tikka 7mm's recoil would be like to my ruger 300? anybody have these setups that could give some info? My next choice would be a tikka in 270 but like the idea of a 7mm in case I go for elk someday (yes, i know a 270 will drop an elk). thanks

I put a muzzle break on my weatherby .300 win mag for my Dad and would let my 6 year old shoot it now kicks like a .22. The accuracy improved also,I dont know if I was flinching expecting the recoil but it is shooting 1 hole groups at 100 yards now after the muzzle break.

Another vote for a muzzle break. I inheritted a Model 70, .300 H & H mag from my uncle a few years back. That thing would about take your shoulder off! I put on a muzzle break on it and I would say the recoil is now about the same as my 30-06 bolt action.

I will add that it was not horribly expensive to do. I had it done at Ahlmans (SE of Faribault) for something like $130 or so.

Sorry to get off topic a little bit here. Does a muzzle break have any negatives? Does it mess the accuracy at all?

I did some research on that before I put the brake it and I couldn't find anything that talked about accuracy being affected. If I remember correctly, Ahlmans said the projectile doesn't touch the muzzle brake. And after shooting the rifle after the brake was installed, I didn't see any change in POI. Although I have to admit that for about $80 for a box of 20 rounds, I don't shoot it a lot!! And that's the cheap ammo!

The only muzzle break and can change POI is the BOSS on Brownings. It can tuned, "to a degree" to raise and lower POA. I use muzzle breaks on almost everything I can, including 30-06, 7mm and 300 WM.

The biggest downside is noise level at or around the shooter.

There are many different types. Ahlmans carries a bunch of the more traditional types that work well. I have them on 2 of my rifles.

But if your looking for one of the best for scavenging but is kinda ugly checkout the break by jprifles. He's a local guy and his company does fantastic custom work. My buddy has one of his breaks on a Rem 700 VSSF in 300 WM and can take quick repeated free standing shots at 200+ yds. You just don't want to be standing next to him.

If you want more info let me know.

I can only speak as someone who was in the bay next to a high caliber rifle shooter with a muzzle brake on.

It was impossible to even sit at the bench while he was shooting. I got sprayed in the face with [PoorWordUsage] each shot, not to mention how freaking loud it was. They guy past me even had an empty ammo box blow off his bench when the guy touched a round off!

smile

Sorry to get off topic a little bit here. Does a muzzle break have any negatives? Does it mess the accuracy at all?

+1 on the noise issue. My dad bought a BEAUTIFUL A-Bolt in a .22-250. It had the Boss system on it. He bought it as it was advertised to be able to "dial in" your groups by turning it this way or that. With a varmit rifle that is typically used at long range, he thought that would be 100% the ticket. The problem is, it is so loud that it is like being next to a guy shooting a cannon. I have been around firearms all my life and shoot a fair amount, but it is, by far, the loudest rifle that I have ever been around. It sits in his gun cabinet and I don't think he has shot it in 5 years.

Yep, the people at Almans warned me about the noise. But I can't say that the noise is that much different for the person pulling the trigger maybe once or twice a year during deer season. All other times I wear hearing protection. It's an ironclad requirement at the range I belong to, even for a .22!

I kind of started off with a M77 300 Win Mag in 1990 and the recoil was fine but I hated the trigger. I upgraded to a Browning A-bolt 300 Win Mag and the recoil was significantly more. I then traded for one with the Boss and it shot very well at the range with ear plugs in. That season I fired one shot with out ear plugs and my ears hurt for 45 minutes. I then traded that in for another A-Bolt without the Boss in 7mm Rem Mag and I have had it since 1993. That gun will never leave my possession. There will be noticeably more felt recoil in the Tika than a Ruger based on weight alone.

I just bought a 7mm-08 in a Tika T3 lite but have not fired it yet. Even before firing I am contemplating a different stock because the rear feels hollow. The fit is perfect but it just feels different.

From what I understand about mbrakes is that it effects the. Down range velocity the most but not enough for the average Joe to worry about it. Years ago I was showed a couple of tricks by a gun nut that used to do all his own gun work and muzzle brakes was his favorite way to tame down a guns recoil.