• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More trapping of dogs...

BLACKJACK

We as hunters want you to trap. We want you to be successful. But we would like our dogs to come home in one piece. I think enough hunters have already said they don't take their dogs on public land during trapping seasons. It sounds like the hunters have already made huge concessions. I looked at the trapping seasons, some species are long, some are very short. I am not sure which seasons that 220s are used for, or if it all of them. Looks like you can trap from October to march. Bird hunting ends in December.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett,

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can't say you are for trappers while trying to take away their privledges.

It really saddens me to see so-called sportsman working to limit another sporting groups time or method afield. Nothing could be worse for any of us.

I can't believe how emotions are leading the charge in getting these changes pushed through. If we look at the staggering number of dogs in this state and come to realize that what, SIX have died in traps that the odds of your dog getting in a trap are far smaller than getting run over, shot by an irate neighbor or poisoned because it craps in someone elses yard.

We should all be adult enough to take the emotionsal stuff out of thie debate. I've got five dogs. I "LOVE" them like children. But, I realize there are hazards everywhere I look for those dogs. Some are natural and most are manmade.

Brett, your statement about getting those traps off the gound "No matter what" says a lot about your emotional state. It's obvious that in this caee you are out to get the trappers.

It saddens me when I see sportsmen not supporting each other.

I'll be calling all my contacts at the capital asking they change NO rules on trapping regarding this issue.

Wow, just made my way over to this thread this is so emotionally charged that alot of common sense has flown out the window. We have had kind of a perfect storm for this to happen this year fur prices being up on some animals(more people trapping) a unseasonably warm fall and winter(more guys hunting longer) and so here we are throwing rocks at each other it will be the downfall of all of us eventually just look at other parts of the world ,has happened already.,

I personally don't use many 220's not part of what I do but would hate to see them taken away from the guys that need them for there target species. All the talk of elavating sets may be fine and dandy for some things but is'nt being realistic for others.

Think about it this way, your told you can hunt ducks but you can't use decoys, or you can grouse hunt but you can only use a 30 inch barrel with a full choke, sure you will still get some birds but it is'nt real practical is it? I am always amazed every fall by the amount of hunters that have no idea what we do, I have been asked by alot of duck hunters what I am doing while out trapping muskrats, I find that just amazing. I am not saying there can't be some kind of compromise but if we are all going to get along we are all probably going to have to all eat a little [PoorWordUsage] whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Think about it this way, your told you can hunt ducks but you can't use decoys, or you can grouse hunt but you can only use a 30 inch barrel with a full choke, sure you will still get some birds but it is'nt real practical is it?[color:#CC0000]

These comparisons have nothing, absolutly, nothing to do with the subject in front of us, they are meaningless thought up restrictions that are comparing apples and oranges. a duck hunter using decoys or a grouse hunter using a 20 inch barrel IMP choke isn't endangering anyone or anything. ( Get the point?)

I posted this in the trapping forum and figure might as well post it here also.

Quote:
Swamptiger you have some great ideas and I commend you for them.

As for grouse closure and season adjusts I mentioned that but the pheasant hunters and rabbit hunters shot that down as quickly as a one winged rooster.

I will be the first to say we the trappers may have lost this battle before it even started. It is the way has always been and will always be until the trapper is gone from America. I just wish I wouldn't have spent the money replacing all the triggers on my 220s. Now I have a pile of useless iron with new triggers, guess I didn’t see this coming. Maybe I should call WCCO and start sobbing for the camera. I might get as good of turn out as the dog side of this did and somebody will donate me the cost of the triggers. Maybe somebody will give me a 10k dog, heck I would be happy with a $50 dog as I miss my old bird dog. She got ran over on a job site a couple years ago. I plan on petitioning a ban on all wheeled construction equipment later this month.

To get back on track

Trouble I run into is my water sets legally become "ground sets" once the ice forms. “Elevated” puts them up where only climbing critters can get to them so water based furbearers that still rove around after freeze up and do not climb are now a snare or no-freeze pan set such as a fox set. Trapping the bog is a major difference from trapping river bottoms and the hilly country of southern MN. Heck I have huge multi mile areas I don’t even have a tree big enough to elevate the trap in, I struggle to find brush heavy enough to anchor snares and often have pack in steel stakes. Loss/miss rates are going to go way up. Sadly the only way to make up the numbers is more pan traps and snares.

The title of topic is thoughts on the 220. My thought is the 220 is the most valuable tool in my arsenal. Loss of the 220 ground set will severely impact my success and income. To resolve or counter the effects of the 220 ban I plan on placing either two larger pan traps say #2s and #3s in its place to keep the odds in favor. Another approach will be a four snare set in every place I can no longer ground set a 220. Some places the two big hard hitting pan traps will work and other the multiple snare sets will make up the difference. It will be hard to make up for the efficiency of the 220 and will require multiple sets to equal out. Either way I have a second window open right now ordering 200 premade snares in three grades/sizes to replace the 220s. The prices are not bad right now and figured snatch them up now before that changes. 600 snares should cover the first year snares in place of the 220 ground set requirements I need to meet. Sadly snares are a one catch deal, especially using the good locking slides. I guess one good thing about going to snares is I will be able to extend my lines covering more territory as I can pack a couple hundred snares where I could fit 10 or 12 220 conibears, plus a much lighter load.

Guess that’s the silver lining of it.

Of course next year it will be snares. Soon all we will be able to trap is squirrels in the tops of trees and moles underground. Wonder how police forces feel about trading their muskrat fur lined hats for squirrel hats? laugh

Todd what Swampman was saying is you would not like it if the things purchased and use to be succefull where taken away.

Just as I said dogs should be on leash. I said it to make a point of what it would be like. Many do not understand what taking away the 220 does to the sport and we as trappers are trying to expalin the best we can by comparision what it would be like to lose part of your hunting program.

Jonny p that is exactlly what I was trying to say but as I said earlier this is a emotionally charged issue and some people are dead set on getting rid of these and nothing is going to change that. I wish nobodys dog would ever be killed again but it is going to happen regardless of what comes of this issue. Can we make it safer and still all get along maybe. The odds of somebodys dog being killed in a trap imo has been blown out of proportion. There is some danger in everything we do, we weigh the risks and make a decision. There are guys killed in hunting accidents every year it is a very small percetage but it makes the news. Do we want to ban guns because somebody might get shot? alot of people would like that. I am only saying this so we can look at the bigger picture here. Some will understand others never will.

Bottom line is the trapper is screwed always has been always will be. The anti's, bunny huggers, MEDIA are on a witch hunt and aren't going to quit until they get their way. There are many many many times the number of dogs killed by cars a year and people don't think twice about that. It's one big crock of SH*T

Wow! what a $h!^ show! I do appreciate these threads cause they have really opened my eyes. I was for the most part oblivious to trapping. Don't know squat about it, don't really care that much about it. But after some research and seeing pics, well, I guess the "bunny hugger" in me is coming out when I say I LOATH trapping now! HOWEVER, I do see the need and I "get it"! Would much rather folks just shoot the critters, and do away with the $ angle.

Anyway, after seeing pics of critters trapped in a leg hold traps waiting for death to come, I actually would MUCH rather see 220's doing the deed. I'm all about a clean, humane kill on everything. I've wounded a few deer and feel horrible when it happens. I, in no way could handle coming up on a trap with an animal waiting to die. (What do you do to them anyway? Shoot them or beat them dead? serious question here...)

I like bird hunting with dogs, (I lost my lab this summer so I basically took the year off and between steelhead and bow hunting, my falls are full enough anyway), however, when I get a new dog, I don't know if I'll even want to take it out bird hunting now. This is some scary business!

Please educate me! What do you use a 220 for? When are they the most prevalent in the woods? What types of habitat are they set in? If I understand this right they are used for critters that have a week or 2 long season during the fall (cats, coons, yotes?, beav's?).

I'll never like trapping, but I will respect the trapper and will not get behind banning them, (like I said the 220 seems to be the only humane trap in use). But an increased push on education and awareness for EVERYONE is something all trappers should do!

Please educate me! What do you use a 220 for?

Northern Minnesota we use them for Muskrats, Otter, Coons, Skunk, Fisher, Martin and some use them for Bobcat and Fox.

Southern guys will have to chime in but but moslty the same species with a slighty different application

330 are used as beaver/ otter traps and need to be set submerged in the water. Thats makes sense as beaver live in the water and are often a to big for the 220.

Pan traps/leg holds can be used just about anything but are not as efficient and have higher miss/loss rate.

I dont know of any trapper that doesnt hunt or hasnt hunted over a gundog.I do both myself.Trappers DONT want to kill anyones dogs.There are a handfull of knuckle-heads that use no discretion when using 220's.Should the rest of us lose because of it? I have also been with knuckle-heads that call themselves bird hunters when I use to do a little guiding.Do I stereotype the hunting world because of this? Absolutely not!Dont restrict the trapper because of a handfull of unfortunate incidents.This was an unusual late fall and winter.More people and dog activity than usual because of no snow and mild temps.As far as elevating 220's off the ground,a guy might as well set em on the moon.

After seeing pics of critters trapped in a leg hold traps waiting for death to come

Some times the apearances of these pictures are not what they seem the foot hold trap actually causes very little damage if any at all. When a foot hold is staked or fastened properly foot damage is and often none. They are also widely used for a live market and relocation tool and more so with larger animals than cage traps.

"Gummer" traps with rubber jaws. Often used for larger critters that need to relocated such as Mnbullrider stated. These traps are subtle, in fact I have stuck my paw in a set #2 just to see and demonstrate how gentle they are. It still surprises you but doesnt hurt, about like when a piece of brush slaps ya walking in the woods. I have had my hands in just about every trap made as I m a clutz. To be honest the one that never dies was when I was a kid and sat on a 220 and clamped my butt. I reached back and pulled it off but the story has never died.

One other question I have been pondering is why are the springs on 220 set so tight and with so much force? To me it seems as the goal is to instantly kill the animal by breaking the animals neck. When I stick a broomstick in mine, it snaps it with unbelievable force. I understand the intent is for the animal to not suffer. If the initial force was less and releasing was easier, I don't think we would have the problems we do now. If I can't budge one with both hands there is no way a targeted species is going to escape. Maybe a design change would be most beneficial for all. Reduce the tension.

Thanks JP!

So from what I can interpret from looking at the season dates and animals open to trapping, it appears that for most of the state a 220 can be on the ground from mid/late-Oct through late Feb/mid Mar.

Again, is there a certain time frame that they are more frequently abundant than other times?