• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WI/MN Lab Breeders

Lunker

I will be looking to get a lab pup this spring, hopefully april-may time frame, so I will be starting the search for upcoming litters shortly. Thought maybe some owners could suggest any breeders in Wisconsin or Minnesota that they have had good (or bad) experiences with.

Much appreciated

Andrew aka Lunker

We have been very happy with our lab from Ballys Gun dogs. We have a 50 lb female that will turn two in about a week. I am very pleased with her pheasant hunting the past two season. If you would like more information email me.

I'll be doing a breeding of a couple very nice dogs that have the staunch brit look but are 100% american lines. The male has passed every Master test he's ran 7 for 7 and is MH titled as well as took 3rd in a qualifying field trial last fall. All amateur trained and handled and is my personal gun dog as well. Great upland and superb waterfowl dog. Also lives in the house year round and goes pretty much unnoticed while in the house, he's very calm and gentle with my early elementary school nieces and nephew.

The female is a Junior Hunter titled dog that is pretty much ready to run Senior level hunt tests (runs blinds, marks multiple birds, etc). She too is a great upland and waterfowl dog. Puppies will be whelped in the Big Lake, MN area.

Otherwise, Rainmaker Labs in WI does a great job with breedings and health clearances. You can look them up on the web.

I'll throw a plug out there for River Valley British Labs between Le Sueur and St. Thomas. 4wanderingeyes has first hand experience with them. PM 4WE for his take wink

If you are interested in a British Lab, I strongly recommend River Valley British Kennels. I know several of people with his dogs, and all are more then satisfied. I myself own 2 of their dogs, I couldnt be happier with them. If you have any questions, you can email me, ask me here, or google them and talk directly to Tom or Lori. I know they have 2 litters ready soon.

Have you given the Strib a look see? Don't get so caught up in the "Breeder" thing. Private owners are every bit as good as those kennels you are looking at. So long as the guarantees are there, what can the kennel give you that the private owner cannot?

Thanks for the advice, any other takers?

I may not be super picky about bloodline in the end, but right now leaning towards a brit lab body type also.

Lunker,

I picked up a Brit Lab about 8 years ago from Stony Brook Kennels, Travis Lund, which is out of Foley now. I'm pretty sure his dam was out of Double TT Brit Kennels and his male out of Wildrose Kennels. The cost of the pup I got was very reasonable being one generation back and going thru him vs one of those kennels. Looking at his HSOforum, I'm not sure if he's breeding Brit Labs anymore. I pass his name on because he was good to deal with, small breeder vs a puppy mill, and back when I got my pup it was based upon a limited registration which I think means he knows when any of the Brit pups he sold are being bred so the registration can get approved. He may be aware of a litter with Brit lines that may be unadvertised and would also be a good resource on the Brit vs Amer thing if wanted another opinion. I personally like both.