• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions PLEASE!!!

Bambito

fishing???

tiller???? or wheel

tin or fiberglass??

Big lakes???/ small ones???

I would suggest a glass boat either way

well take some looking but there are some out there

for that kind of money shop hard dont settle 14k is alot$$

take your time..dont get caught say I shoulda!!!

good time to look boat shows starting soon go look a lot of boats in one spot get ideas

then starting shoppig

good luck

your going to get lots of advice here

some good...some blowing smoke...lol

for fishing...smaller lakes mainly except that once a year fishing trip to rainy or lotw. aluminum with console. Has anyone financed a boat in this range and what was your payment a month??? The wife really doesnt want me paying more then $200 a month! Is this even possible?

Hogwild, your dollar amount should allow you to get a nice single counsel boat aluminum with a 115 or 90 hp four stroke behind it. Models such as the Alumacraft navigator, Crestliner fishhawk Lund Mr. Pike in that 2004 to 2005 area. Like gregg 52 said take your time - this is a great time of yr to be boat shopping- some good deals out there on some of the selling sites. You could even expect to get some decent electronics on the package also at that price- credit unions can really extend the life of loans on boat packages also that should put you in a lower monthly payment that way but expect to pay a little higher interest rate- good luck with the hunt!

I love my Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk. It's an older one so it's only rated for 115. Apparently indestructible (got rear ended last fall on MN 194 north of Duluth. One small gouge in the transom and a small dent port side on the bottom). It has a bigger front deck than a comparable Lund (I know, I looked for two years before pulling the trigger). It came with a 48# 24-volt that pulls it around quite well and all day. 14k will get you a real nice one, you could even look at 1850's. Just don't be too quick. Make sure it has what you want. Remember, buying a used boat from a private party means you only pay tax on the trailer in Minnesota. Just my opinion.

My opinion on tracker would be stay away

theres a tread on here talking bout the workmanship inside

specially buying used

i would stick with the lunds crestliner almunacraft

again take your time 14k should get you a pretty nice boat

actually i saw a used yar craft for 6k i wasnt lokin for a boat so didnt pay any attention now i'm thinkin bout selling mine ad cant find that one again probably sold

my point is good deals are out there stick with quality though 14k is still alot of money

New or Used?

New you can get into a 16' Alumacraft Classic for that money. It will have a 50 on it.

Used you have a lot more options as to what you can get.

Shop around and now is a good time to buy. Spring time prices go up.

There are lots and lots of boats in that price range, but when you find one you better be prepared to pull the trigger fast because they sell fast. You will be able to find Lunds, Crestliners, Alumacrafts and many others that will fit the bill.

My advice would be to do your research looking at the boats at dealers websites and boat shows. Figure out what you want and wait till it comes up for sale. I do know that Lund has the older catalogs available for view on their HSOforum so you can get older model info.

Now to answer the "whats the best boat for me" question, it's the boat you get, that's the best boat.

buy a tracker!

I would stay as far away from a tracker as possible. My dad had one, and the internet is littered with the threads of their poor workmanship and failures (I believe the early Targas had the transom breaking off).

You should be able to find a really nice late model 17-18 ft boat aluminum boat, and I would stay with the big 3 Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner (in that order, IMO).

Also, keep your eye out for a Ranger in that price too, you may be able to find a really nice 617 or 618(81) for that price. And don't be afraid to look out of state for it. Boats sell a lot cheaper down south.

Resale is another thing to think about, you probably want one of the big 3 with a 4 stroke to maximize resale.

The biggest thing with used boats is to remember how much more you are going to have to put into it to get it rigged the way you like.

Remember a new terrova is over 1000 bucks, and a bigger screen fish finder is not far behind. Anchors, life jackets, ropes, oil, and all of that add up too. Be realistic with your budget and what you need to spend.

I think you should take your time to figure out what you are looking for. There are a lot of options in that price range, new or used.

How many will be in the boat at a time?

What are you looking for, casting decks, seats, livewells, and storage?

What is your minimum rigging requirement, ex, newer Side Imaging or is older ok? Trolling motor?

Will it be used for skiing?

Be patient. Kick tires to narrow your search down to a couple options then hunt them patiently. It may take a while. But definitely start narrowing your search now before the spring price jumps.

As for financing:

3.5% for 4 years will get you $10k at 225/month

3.5% for 5 years will get you $11k at 200/month

Plus or minus interest will bounce those around a little. Expect to have a few grand downpayment if you want to get to $14k with a $200 payment.

I would pick a used Lund, Alumacraft, or Crestliner too, over many others. But Tracker's are good boats if your looking for a new low cost alternative to a used boat with dock rash and 2+ year old electronics. the old riveted ones probably weren't as good. and the first couple years of welding them could have lead to defective hulls in some. I run a 2008 pro guide with a mercury optimax and i honestly cannot think of any defects. doesn't leak a drop, it has never left me stranded either. i run it probably every other day from april to october too and can't even count the numbers of fish that have been caught on it. thats what matters right? but its not a tournament grade boat. and (i agree) guys with more cash can buy much more durable and bigger boats. Yet, Tracker boats have a lot of features for the cash amount in my opinion. They may be worth a look too.

eeeeez your talking like he;s going to buy the riveted or welded boat made...lol

14k is going t get him a late model boat not something from the sities for pete sake

even though i still think he should look for a nice glass boat then you dont need to worry bout rivets or welds

should be able to find a warrior if nothing else

We are heading to the sportsman show next weekend. We are gonna take a looke at all styles of boats and pick the one that best fits our needs. Then try to find a slightly used one. What credit unions have you guys used and what kind of experiance did you have? Very excited for next weekend!!!!

The Trackers have came a LONG way in the last few years. I have not seen any hull issues on models made after 2007. Bang for the buck they are a great boat.

yeah, i had one complaint of a hard to turn steering wheel last season and got that replaced. 1 complaint in 4 seasons. at the time mine was about 4k less than the big 3. couldn't afford the bouncy seats, interior lights and aluminum trailer wheels. but the tracker had the same exact outboard AND trolling motor as the others. I think the biggest thing for me is catching fish. not pounding 3-4 ft rollers as you might not want to do that with any 17ft boat.

hogwild, the sportsman and boat show will fun. and you'll be able to check out all the brands and features. but i would have liked to drive the boat before making the decision. i like the hight of the casting decks on the tracker but My buddy's alumacraft rides a little smoother and has slightly better stability on the water. things the sportsman and boat shows won't show you.

good luck

ask the dealers to give you a ride on mille lacs

open water over there.....lol

will be fun for you....all the salesmen will have you really confused by days end.....try to get a good idea before you go as to what you want and need

cuz every salesmen there has the best boat

goocd luck